OneStar Foundation requests the pleasure of your company on September 12, 2014
as we celebrate the 20th Anniversary of AmeriCorps
and the 10th Anniversary of OneStar as Texas' state service commission.
On September 12, 2014, like-minded individuals from across the State of Texas will come together to witness the largest AmeriCorps swearing-in and recognition ceremony in Texas history. This will be a part of the nationwide event featuring the simultaneous swearing-in of 80,000 AmeriCorps members and alums being live streamed by the Corporation for National and Community Service in Washington, D.C. and other state commissions across the country.
Attendees will also have the opportunity to network with nonprofit leaders, elected officials, champions of service, and hundreds of AmeriCorps members and alumni who are dedicating their lives to serving others.
Doors open at 8:30 a.m. Program will begin promptly at 9:30 a.m.
(Please note the time change - the event will now be held the morning of September 12th to align with the nationwide Swearing In event).
The ceremony will consist of:
- Musical performances
- Speeches from prominent Texas leaders, alums, and champions of service
- Live streaming of swearing-in ceremony of over 80,000 AmeriCorps members nationwide
- A networking reception following the ceremony at the LBJ School of Public Affairs
Please be aware of the following:
- The event is free and open to the public with advance RSVP reservation.
- Groups may RSVP for block seating for up to 100 guests per registrant.
- Guaranteed seating requires an RSVP by August 15th; after that date, additional seats will be released as available.
- Printed tickets are not required for this event.
- Parking for this event will be available for a small fee in nearby Manor Parking Garage (MAG) located off of Clyde Littlefield Drive. For more detailed directions, please visit: http://www.utexas.edu/lbj/contact/map. For a map to the parking garage, view this PDF.
- Please no video camera or flash photography during the event without prior arrangement and permission.
- For additional questions, please e-mail email@example.com.
AmeriCorps provides value and effectiveness through its triple bottom line return on investment — its impact on the individuals, families, and communities that benefit from the service of AmeriCorps members; the impact on the people who serve as AmeriCorps members; and the impact on the larger community and nation. Numerous reports demonstrate the positive impact AmeriCorps programs have on the volunteers and the communities where they serve. To view recent research reports and the results of a national longitudinal study of AmeriCorps, click here.
AMERICORPS FAST FACTS
- 830,000: Number of individuals who have served as AmeriCorps members since 1994.
- 1 billion: Total number of hours served by AmeriCorps members since 1994.
- $2.6 billion: Total amount of Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards earned by AmeriCorps members.
- 4 million: Number of community volunteers managed or mobilized by AmeriCorps members in 2013.
- 25,000: Number of nonprofits, faith-based and community organization, schools, and other sites that AmeriCorps members serve with annually.
AmeriCorps is a cost-effective solution to America’s toughest problems:
- Service is a Solution: More than 75,000 AmeriCorps members improve the lives of millions of our most vulnerable citizens each year. AmeriCorps’ impacts are proven and measurable.
- Disasters: From forest fires and floods, to hurricanes and tornadoes, AmeriCorps members have provided critical support to millions of Americans affected by disasters since 1994.
- Economic Opportunity: VISTA, AmeriCorps’ poverty-fighting program, engages more than 8,000 members each year in fighting poverty by creating businesses, expanding access to technology, recruiting volunteers to teach literacy, and strengthening antipoverty groups.
- Education and Youth: AmeriCorps places thousands of teachers, tutors, and mentors into low performing schools, helping students succeed in school and gain skills necessary to get 21st century jobs.
- Environment: Members build trails, restore parks, protect watersheds, run recycling programs, and promote energy efficiency, weatherization, and clean energy.
- Health: AmeriCorps members save lives and improve health through HIV/AIDS education and outreach, drug and alcohol prevention training, and connecting poor families to health clinics and services.
- Veterans and Military Families: AmeriCorps supports the military community by engaging veterans in service, helping veterans readjust to civilian life, and supporting military families.
AmeriCorps also expands education and economic opportunity:
- Preparing the 21st Century Workforce: AmeriCorps is a pathway to economic opportunity that provides members with valuable skills, leadership abilities, and experience to help jumpstart their careers.
- Expanding Educational Opportunity: AmeriCorps members have earned more than $2.6 billion in Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards since 1994, helping hundreds of thousands of alums pay for college.
- Building Community Leaders: An AmeriCorps longitudinal study found that AmeriCorps alums are more attached to their communities, aware of community challenges, and empowered to address them.
- Pipeline to Public Service: AmeriCorps alums are significantly more likely to go into public service careers, with 60% entering nonprofits or public service. This is particularly true of minorities and people from low-income backgrounds.
AmeriCorps strengthens the impact of our state and nation’s nonprofits:
- Strengthening Nonprofits: AmeriCorps members help tens of thousands of faith-based and community groups expand services, build capacity, raise funds, develop new partnerships, and create innovative, sustainable programs.
- Mobilizing volunteers: AmeriCorps is a powerful catalyst and force-multiplier for community volunteering. Last year AmeriCorps members recruited, trained, and supervised more than 4 million community volunteers for the organizations they serve.
- Public-Private Partnership: AmeriCorps leverages substantial private investment from businesses, foundations, and other sources. AmeriCorps has cut costs and become more efficient by supporting more members with fewer federal dollars.
- Advancing Social Innovation: AmeriCorps invests in entrepreneurial organizations that have been recognized for their innovative approaches to citizen problem-solving.
On its 20th anniversary, AmeriCorps is poised for even greater impact and growth:
- Bipartisan Support: There is a growing recognition from Members of Congress, Governors, and Mayors of both parties that national service is an essential strategy to address key problems.
- AmeriCorps has Strong Momentum: Our nation's leaders know first-hand the power of citizens to get things done and is deeply committed to investing in service and community solutions.
- Task Force on Expanding National Service: In July 2013, a high-level national task force was created to identify new ways the public and private sectors can partner to expand national service as a strategy for tackling national priorities.
- 20 Years Serving America: The Sept. 12 nationwide swearing in event will culminate a yearlong celebration highlighting the commitment of AmeriCorps members and alums and highlight the extraordinary impact AmeriCorps has made for 20 years.
- Celebrating the past, building for the future: The 20th will recognize important moments in AmeriCorps’ history, but it will also look ahead to our exciting future by demonstrating impact, building partnerships, and increasing opportunities to serve.
Have questions about OneStar 10th | AmeriCorps 20th Anniversary Celebration?
Contact OneStar Foundation