OIP-ISR Lunch and Learn Seminar Series
for UCLA Faculty Entrepreneurs
-NEGOTIATING TERM SHEETS-
Date: November 12, 2013
Time: 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Location: 11000 Kinross, STE 210
Theme: Raising Money from Outside Investors (VCs and Angels): Keys to Successfully Negotiating Your Term Sheet
UCLA’s Office of Intellectual Property and Industry Sponsored Research (OIP-ISR) is hosting a startup seminar series for our entrepreneurially-minded faculty and postdocs. The series covers the basic steps involved in starting a company. Each seminar will be presented by law firms with extensive experience in the startup arena.
- Legal Basics for New Company Formation – October 2nd
- Venture Capital ---Pitching to Venture - October 16th
- Venture Capital---Negotiating Term Sheets – November 12th
- Venture Capital---Company Valuation – December 9th
November 12 - "Negotiating Term Sheets."
Louis Wharton and Kevin D. DeBré, partners with Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, LLP, a venture/tech boutique law firm in Los Angeles, specialize in representing startups and fast-growth companies, including several founded by UCLA faculty members.
- Focuses on securities compliance, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate governance matters for emerging growth and middle market companies.
- Securities compliance practice involves a variety of ’33 Act and ’34 Act work for several of the firm's public clients.
- Corporate finance practice involves public offerings and private placements of both equity and debt securities.
- Mergers and acquisitions practice involves structuring and negotiating a variety of public and private mergers, strategic acquisitions and divestitures.
Kevin D. DeBré
- Chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property and Technology Transactions Practice Group. Advises entrepreneurs and companies on how to use intellectual property to build technology-based businesses. Specific expertise in structuring and negotiating IP-based transactions, developing IP protection strategies, compliance with privacy and data security laws and regulations.
- Corporate lawyer, registered patent lawyer, former mechanical engineer.
- Author of “Licensing of Trade Secrets and Know-How,” a chapter of Trade Secret Litigation and Protection in California, an attorney’s practice book published by the State Bar of California; contributing author of “Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances,” a chapter of Intellectual Property in Business Transactions, an attorney’s practice book published by Continuing Education of the Bar; update author of “Exploiting Trade Secrets by Licensing” and of “Form Licensing Agreements and Provisions,” two chapters of Trade Secrets Practice in California (Second Edition) published by Continuing Education of the Bar.
When & Where
UCLA OIP-ISR Events
The UCLA Office of Intellectual Property and Industry Sponsored Research (OIP-ISR) hosts and co-sponsors seminars, conferences, and networking events designed to help guide UCLA inventors form startups, protecting intellectual property, and develop collaborations with industry.
OIP-ISR events also provide unique opportunities for entrepreneurs and industry executives to meet UCLA faculty researchers developing the next wave of innovation at UCLA.