San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Join the Obscura Society LA as we travel from the edge of the sky to the depths of the underworld on a Pasadena adventure to JPL and Devil's Gate
What do NASA and the occult have in common? Jack Parsons!
Step into the unknown with Obscura Society LA and Field Agent Erin Johnson for a tour of Pasadena’s Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL) followed by a hike to the Devil’s Gate.
On our exclusive tour of the JPL tour, we will see:
- The Space Flight Operations Facility, which serves as “ground control” for data communications to all deep space missions
- The Spacecraft Assembly Facility, where they perform spacecraft assembly and testing of JPL-built mission hardware, like the Mars rovers,
- The von Karman Museum
Following our tour of JPL, we will caravan less than a mile to the Hahamongna Watershed Park and take a short hike through the Arroyo Seco to the Devil’s Gate. Famed occultist and co-founder of JPL Jack Parsons reportedly believed this gorge was one of the seven portals of Hell. We will explore the area and discuss the history.
THERE ARE TWO DATES FOR THIS ADVENTURE - AUGUST 7TH & AUGUST 21ST.
TICKET SALES FOR BOTH DATES CLOSE ON JULY 14TH DUE TO THE NEED FOR ATTENDEES TO SUBMIT ID INFORMATION.
Notes for this adventure:
- All US citizens 18 years of age or older visiting JPL MUST present official, government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license or passport, before being allowed entry.
- Wear comfortable shoes, i.e., sneakers or hiking boots for the hike to Devil’s Gate. It could be very muddy!
- Bring water.
- Meeting location will be shared upon registration.
- The trip is on a Thursday during the daytime, please be advised.
- Open to ages 18+
The Obscura Society is the real world exploration arm of Atlas Obscura.