reTREEt in NYC! Come help us restore The Rockaways.
Working in tandem with Local Office Landscape & Urban Design and Bartlett Tree Experts, reTREEters are going to plant trees and shrubs in Belle Harbor and Rockaway Beach, neighborhoods in Queens that were heavily flooded during Hurricane Sandy. Some of the planting material has been on display at MoMA PS1 as part of The Colony in EXPO 1: New York during the summer. If you are able, stop by the museum before the exhibit ends on September 2nd.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 6TH
- PM - Make your way to NYC by train, plane, or automobile. LGA, JFK, and EWR are all easily accessible airports, and kayak.com is recommended for searching flights. Also, mta.info and hopstop.com are always helpful for navigating the city. Downloading an NYC navigation app for your phone is suggested.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 7TH
- 8:30AM - Meet at The Roger Hotel. We will head to The Rockaways from there.
- 10:00AM - reTREEters who want to go straight to The Rockaways should meet the group on site.
- Planting in Belle Harbor and Rockaway Beach, with a break for lunch.
- 5:00PM-7:30PM - Community event featuring cocktails provided by Tuthilltown Spirits.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH
- 6:00AM - Ride the NYC CENTURY. We will leave from Washington Square Park AT 6:00AM. YOU WILL NEED TO REGISTER SEPARATELY FOR THE NYC CENTURY. FOR DETAILS AND REGISTRATION, CLICK HERE.
*CHECK BACK REGULARLY FOR UPDATES*
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS AND PARTNERS!
You may want to arrange a place to stay at or near the meeting point on Saturday morning:
131 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Reservations: (888) 448-7788
The Roosevelt Hotel (45 E 45th Street New York, NY, 10017 United States, 1-866-573-4235)
Pod 39 (145 East 39th Street New York, NY, 10016 United States, 1-866-767-0278)
New York Marriott East Side (525 Lexington Ave New York, NY, 10017 United States, 1-866-538-0157)
To search for a hotel room in NYC, use www.hotels.com. If you need further assistance choosing accommodations, or are looking for a roommate, please contact email@example.com.
*Let us know ASAP if you will need a bicycle.
*Check the weather and dress accordingly.
FOOTAGE OF THE AFTERMATH
Have questions about NYC reTREEt?