NYC Government DataDive with DataKind
Friday, September 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM - Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 1:00 PM (EDT)
Are you a data scientist / data hacker / statistician who loves to explore data and wants to do some good at the end of the day? Then come join us for the DataKind New York City DataDive!
We are incredibly excited to announce that we will be serving The NYC Parks Department during this DataDive in partnership with NYC's DOITT. Bring your data skills and get ready to dive into datasets about trees, parks, and other things that make our city green.
If you're a socially conscious data hacker who wants to make your city a better place, RSVP now! If you are unfamiliar with our DataDives click here to read an article on our most recent event in Chicago.
Below is an outline of the schedule for the weekend with specific details included for each day. Please read it over carefully so that you understand how things will operate during the event. As always, please let us know if you have any questions.
School of Visual Arts
136 W 21st St 5th floor (use the elevator bank on the right when you enter the building)
Friday, September 7th
- 7:00 PM: Doors open
- 7:30 PM: Presentation from agencies
- 8:30 - 11:00 PM: Networking mixer with snacks and drink
The evening will involve presentations from the invited government agencies. This will be followed immediately by a party to get everyone well mixed. This will give all of the participants a chance to meet each other and begin discussing projects with the agency representatives.
Saturday, September 8th
- 9:00 AM: Doors open, sign-in and breakfast
- 10:00 AM: Brief review from Data Ambassadors, then data diving!
- 1:00 PM: Lunch
- 6:00 PM: Dinner
- 10:00 PM: Late-night snack
- 12:00 AM (Sunday): Everybody goes home for the night
Saturday we'll get to the data! DataDivers will choose which agency they'd like to work with and form teams around their individual questions. Each agency will have a Data Ambassador assigned to them who will help advise on and manage the projects throughout the day. We'll have meals and keep the space open until 12AM for any late-night divers.
Sunday, September 9th
- 9:00 AM: Doors open, breakfast
- 10:30 AM: Presentations from teams to government agencies
- 12:00 PM: Another successful Datadive in the books!
This is your chance to show the agencies what you have done with their data! There is no expectation of slides or other presentation materials, simply use whatever method of conveying your work to the agencies you feel is best. This is also the chance for the organizations to ask you questions about how and why you chose your project. These presentations can be single or group work, but they can be no longer than 10 minutes each. We want to give everyone a chance to speak, and get people out at a reasonable time.
Other items of note for the weekend
- There is a Github repository setup to use for sharing code, data, and analyses during the event. The repository is located at: https://github.com/datanoborders/Datadives, with a subdirectory for the NYC event. This will be our primary resource for capturing everything developed at the Datadive, so please use it for sharing and collaboration.
- We do not assign you to an agency. We want you to work with the organization and data you feel most passionate about, so come Friday with an open mind and be ready to learn.
- You do not have to stay the entire weekend to participate in the event. We hope that you will find a project you can dig into, but you are always welcome to come and go as you please.
- You do not have to work with the same agency for the whole weekend. Again, we hope that you will find a project to work on to completion, but if at any point you feel like you want to change simply let the ambassador from those teams know.
When & Where
DataKind brings together leading data scientists with high impact social organizations through a comprehensive, collaborative approach that leads to shared insights, greater understanding, and positive action through data in the service of humanity.