Meeting Sponsor: Dell Compellent
- Meeting ID: 8DFJJB
- Entry Code: Z-;}*t4,n
- 4:00-4:10 : Registration / hospitality / networking
- 4:10-4:15 : From our Sponsor - Overview of Dell Compellent SAN
- 4:15-5:15 : Introduction to SQL Server Locking and Blocking
- 5:15-5:30 : Announcements and prize giveaways
Introduction to SQL Server Locking and Blocking
What is locking? What is blocking? Why should you care? You want to update a million rows on production, you need to know what type of locks will happen so you can plan accordingly!
You are tuning a query and the normal duration is 1 second but recently it's been taking over a minute. Is your process being blocked?
Let's face it blocking is very common and as a good DBA you need to recognize when blocking is an issue and how to deal with it. This presentation will cover most of the gory details and includes several fun demos. You will learn how to check and monitor locking and blocking and how to deal with common issues.
Kirby Richteris a local SQL Server Professional with over 15 years’ experience
· Currently DBA at Dell Compellent
· Working with SQL Server since version 6.5
· Development, Database Administration and Business Intelligence experience
· Amateur Astronomer
When & Where
As a part of the national PASS organization, the Minnesota SQL Server User Group (PASSMN) serves the Minnesota SQL Server community. PASSMN is a forum to exchange knowledge and ideas to better understand, develop, implement and support existing and future SQL Server technologies. Our technical sessions provide a professional, fun and educational environment for all levels of expertise and areas of interest.
See http://mnssug.org/ for full details.