San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Hello and thank you for attending the Inaugural SySTEMic Solutions STEM EXPO on March 22, 2014. Even though this event is SOLD OUT, everyone is welcome to this event even without a ticket. The ticket is only REQUIRED for the keynote address. We will have a "Meet the Astronaut" hour for those that cannot attend the keynote address. If you did not get a ticket please get on the waitlist so we can continue to track numbers and additional data for this event.
We are expecting over 500 visitors for this exciting event so please plan ahead to ensure you arrive on time for all the STEMtacular activities. Below are some key things to consider for the event.
- Please print out your purchased tickets and bring them to the EXPO. You will need this to gain entrance into the keynote presentation with Astronaut Tom Jones. Unfortunately due to space limitations this ticket DOES NOT guarantee you a seat in the presentation. We have 200 seats in the theater and 100 seats for over flow. This is on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis!
- Please provide yourself with enough time for possible traffic, to park and walk to the theater. Doors will open at 8:15am and once we fill up all our seats there will be no entry into the theater for the keynote address. We have added an hour of “Meet the Astronaut” for pictures and autographs from 10am to 11am (please refer to eventbrite page for more details).
- We will have open parking for the event so please refer to the map below for planning purposes. WE RECOMMEND USING THE POTOMAC VIEW ROAD ENTRANCE TO PREVENT DELAYS ON ROUTE 7! There will be parking attendants and signs located around the campus, so if you are unsure of anything please do not hesitate to ask them questions.
- Due to space limitations we will also provide limited tickets for some of our STEM sessions so please plan for which sessions you will stand in line for. Details and descriptions of all STEM sessions will be available in our program that will be distributed at 8:15am on March 22. Ticketing for the sessions starts at 10am.
- We will have free snacks available (while supplies last) in the lobby from 12pm to 1pm, but we also have food available for purchase in the café in the LR building (see map).
- Please check the this page the evening before the expo to ensure there are no new updates.
We look forward to sharing this wonderful day with you and thank you so much for your support of SySTEMic Solutions programming.
Loudoun Campus STEM Expo
Schedule of Events
Saturday, March 22, 2014
8:15am to 9:00am, LW Building Lobby
9:00am to 9:20am, LW Theatre
Opening Remarks and Welcome to the Loudoun Campus
Tosin Adetoro, NOVA SySTEMic Solutions
Dr. Julie Leidig, Provost of the Loudoun Campus
9:20am to 10:00am, LW Theatre
Keynote Address by Astronaut Tom Jones
Appropriate for all ages
10:00am to 11:00am, LC Common Area
Meet the Astronaut
Appropriate for all ages
Dr. Jones will be available for pictures and autographs
10:00am to 2:30pm, LR 3rd floor
Exhibitors and Displays
10:30am to 11:30am, LW Theatre
Repeated at 1:00pm to 2:00pm
“To Swing through the Sky – A True STEAM History”
Paul Glenshaw, Barnstorming Productions
Appropriate for all ages
Tickets for Lectures, Labs, Tours and Workshops
Will be available 10:00am – 10:30am and Noon -12:45pm
In the LW lobby
10:30am to Noon, Across the Campus
Repeated 1:00pm to 2:30pm
Displays, Exhibits, Lectures, Labs, Tours and Workshops
Conducted by Loudoun Faculty, Staff and Students
There will be presentations on probability and statistics, physics, mathematics, biology, environmental science, chemistry, geology, engineering careers, information technology, cyber security, web design, computer programming, science and literature, veterinary technology, a demonstration of drone flight and more.
These presentations are appropriate for students in grades 6 through 12.
Noon to 1pm, LW Lobby
Free Snacks (while supplies last) and food available for purchase at Euro Café in LR Building (until 2pm)
(Note: Some planned activities are dependent upon the weather and might be cancelled due to rain or high winds. If you’re interested in touring the campus, please be prepared for walking outdoors and have appropriate footwear for Spring-like conditions.)
IMAGES OF PROGRAM BELOW
Everything you need to know about how important STEM is for Northern Virginia will be showcased at NOVA’s STEM EXPO on March 22. The free admission one‐day event will consist of exciting exhibits, inspiring speakers such as a keynote address from Astronaut Tom Jones, and enlightening tours that will highlight just how vital it is to engage students, teachers, and professionals alike in STEM education and careers. Opening presentation will start at 9am. Exhibits, campus tours, and interactive STEM sessions will begin at 10:30am.
We will have free snacks and parking is available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the event.
We would like to thank our sponsors for their support!
QUANTUM ($2500) Sponsor
DYNAMIC ($1000) Sponsor
When & Where
NOVA SySTEMic Solutions
Begun in 1964, Northern Virginia Community College offers a quality and convenient educational experience at an affordable price. NOVA is the largest educational institution in Virginia and the second-largest community college in the United States, comprising of more than 75,000 students and 2,600 faculty and staff members. NOVA is also one of the most internationally diverse colleges in the United States, with a student body consisting of individuals from more than 180 countries.
The SySTEMic Solutions, the STEM initiative of Northern Virginia Community College, has a mission to develop a sustainable STEM pipeline in Northern Virginia. We engage students in elementary school and inspire them to continue to pursue STEM education in high school, college, and in the workforce through a collaboration with schools, businesses and community organizations.