San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Learn how to build real-time applications with Node.js.
In this workshop, Jacob Swanner and Carlos Souza will teach you the basics of Node.js using the Code School in-browser challenge engine. The following topics will be covered:
- Intro to Node.js – An overview of Node.js, blocking vs. non-blocking code, reading files, issuing requests
- Events – Event emitters, event requests, event listening
- Streams – Reading, writing, piping, solving backpressure
- Modules – Exporting, npm installing, dependencies, and semantic versioning
- Express – Routes, rendering, layouts, url building, express servers
- Socket.io – Listening for, broadcasting, and answering questions, saving client data
- Persisting Data – Redis, working with lists, persisting, emitting, and limiting questions
This tutorial will be interactive combining live instructions with labs. Thus, you’ll want to bring along a laptop with working wifi and a power cord. A tablet will not work, and we recommend using the Chrome browser on our course.