San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Startup Weekend is joining forces with Steve Blank and Udacity to bring you some the world’s most effective experiential entrepreneurship curriculum - Steve’s Lean Launch Pad curriculum (as taught at Stanford, Berkley, and Columbia) - customized and packaged into a 3-week in-person follow-on course to Startup Weekend.
Is NEXT Right for YOU?
NEXT in DC
If you are an early-stage startup team looking for a structured program to help you build your business featuring an award-winning online curriculum mixed with in-person coaching and mentoring with a group of fellow entrepreneurs, then NEXT is for you. The DC course features leading entrepreneurs, investors and startuppers (details below) beginning on November 28th. Class times and details are below.
- Wednesday, November 28, 2012 -- 6-9 pm
- Saturday, December 1, 2012 - 10 am to 1 pm
- Wednesday, December 5, 2012 - 6-9 pm
- Saturday, December 8, 2012 - 10 am to 1 pm
- Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 6-9 pm
- Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 10 am to 1 pm
Sign up today before the course fills up -- each team member must register. Course includes coaching, books, materials, and access to online content. You'll meet great entrepreneurs, learn key skills and get plugged into the DC Startup ecosystem. Want to see the outline of the NEXT program? Check it out.
Facilitators, Organizers, Coaches, Mentors & Resources.
We've assembled a great group of DC leaders in the startup ecosystem to provide you one-on-one feedback, mentoring and coaching.
- Eric Koester, co-founder Zaarly. Eric is the cofounder of Zaarly, a marketplace to discover and work with talented local service providers that was launched at Startup Weekend Los Angeles. The company has raised $15.1 million from investors such as Kleiner Perkins, Ashton Kutcher, Meg Whitman, SV Angel, Marc Ecko and others. Eric is a serial entrepreneur and a Startup Weekend board member. www.linkedin.com/in/erickoester
Mentors/Coachs/Resources (as of November 19th):
- DJ Saul, CMO, iStrategy Labs. DJ is the CMO of iStrategyLabs, focusing on internal products (Grandstand & Social Machines), while exploring new partnerships & opportunities for iSL and its team members. DJ brands, markets, and creates experiences that launch companies, sell products, and connects people and organizations with what they need to succeed.
- Allen Gannett, Partner, Acceleprise. Allen previously served as CEO of Splash Networks, an education marketing company. He’s one of the World Economic Forum’s Global Shapers, a member of the Young Entrepreneur Council, and a member of the Sandbox Network. He also founded Future Civic Leaders, a nonprofit that works to empower low-income students to get involved in civics. He’s been profiled in the Washington Post and was named one of DC’s Top Techies in 2011 by DC Magazine.
- Michael Mayernick, founder Spinnakr. Michael was named a Tech Titan in 2011 by the Washingtonian Magazine, mostly for being one of the most photogenic dudes in the DC Tech movement. He founded Proudly Made in DC, curates the DC Startup Digest, and co-organizes the DC Tech Meetup. Talk to him about Ruby on Rails, behavioral economics, or the NY Giants.
- Zvi Band, founder and CEO Contactually. Zvi is the co-founder and CEO of Contactually, an online relationship management service. A hacker/founder at heart, he previously founded a software consulting firm, was CTO of an enterprise software startup, and ran a development team for the Department of Defense. His passion includes fostering the startup community in the Capitol region, having co-founded ProudlyMadeInDC and the DC Tech Meetup.
- Adam Zuckerman, founder Foster.ly.
- Evan Burfield, chairman, Startup America DC.
- Marina Martin, White House Innovation Fellow.
- Brendon Miller, Director of Public Affairs, DC Department of Small and Local Business Development
- Andrew Lawless, President Dig-IT! Consulting. More info at www.andrewlawless.net
- Jen Consalvo, Tech Cocktail. Jen is Co-Founder and COO of the tech-focused media company, Tech Cocktail, as well as the Founder of Thankfulfor, an online gratitude journal community.
- Jonathan Perrelli, co-founder and partner Fortify Ventures. Jonathon founded numerous companies and has been involved with tech and telecomm startups since 1996. Most recently he founded Fortify Ventures.
- Jonathan Aberman, founder Amplifier Ventures. Jonathan is the founder and Managing Director of Amplifier Ventures, a seed and early stage venture capital fund based in Mclean, VA.
- Mack Kolarich, founder & CEO, Spontaneous Labs. Organizer of Startup Weekend DC.
- Denis Baranov, Freelance User Experience Designer & Consultant. Organizer of Startup Weekend DC.
MORE ABOUT NEXT
NEXT 3-week long, in-person course which provides real world, hands-on learning on what it’s like to actually start a scalable company. This is not a class about how to write a business plan. It’s not an exercise on how smart you are in a classroom, or how well you use the research library to size markets. And the end result is not a PowerPoint slide deck for a VC presentation.
This is a practical class – essentially a lab, not a theory or “book” class - for teams of 2+ co-founders. Similar to Startup Weekend, NEXT creates an entrepreneurial experience with all of the pressures and demands of the real world in an early stage startup. Teams will be getting their hands dirty talking to customers, partners, competitors, as you encounter the chaos and uncertainty of how a customer-driven startup actually works - all aimed towards answering the question of how to turn a great idea into a great company. Co-founders will learn how practically apply business modelling to their company, and customer development to get out of the classroom to effectively test whether/how customers would use your product.
NEXT takes a ‘flipped classroom’ style of learning, where teams are expected to watch lectures and complete assignments between classes, while classtime itself takes a Facilitator-driven approach to sharing learnings and questioning results.
More info can be found at swnext.org
You do not need to have attended a Startup Weekend event to attend this course. You must, however, be part of a team of at least two people working on a startup or startup idea.
When & Where
UP Global is a non-profit dedicated to fostering entrepreneurship, grassroots leadership, and strong communities. UP Global is on a mission to make the world a more innovative and prosperous place, one community at a time. We believe that entrepreneurs are critical to driving a strong global economy and a better world. We do our part by supporting the grassroots leaders who are at the core of every strong entrepreneurial community. Through the efforts of its grassroots community leaders, UP Global operates programs that foster entrepreneurship in hundreds of cities across the world. UP Global's flagship programs & initatives include Startup Weekend, Startup Digest, Startup Next, Startup Education, and Entrepreneurs Across Borders.