"Continuing Education & Networking Event"
New York, NY
March 12, 2014
4 AIA HSW Credit Hours
1 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals
OPERA America | operaamerica.org
9:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning Refreshments Provided
9:30 – 10:30 AM
Use of Snow Retention Devices: Science or Fiction?
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ISF07A
AIA Provider: InfoSpec Inc.
Presenter: David Stahler
Discover the art and science of snow control and its effects, such as snow migration on
rooftops of structures. Learn about the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow
retention, as well as the do's and don’ts of retention devices, product selection, and site specifics.
1. Describe the history of snow control on rooftops
2. Explain when and where you should or shouldn't use snow retention devices
3. List the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention
4. List the common pitfalls of product selection and site specifics
5. Describe how to value engineer snow retention systems without sacrificing performance
6. Explain the proper selection and specification of snow guards
10:40 - 11:40 AM
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact Surfacing
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Glenn Kross
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and exterior applications.
2. Define ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates intrinsically
3. Discuss designing with ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical resistance,
absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with ultracompact surfacing material.
11:50 - 12:50 PM Lunch – Sponsored by Greg Trimboli with Dynamic Closures
12:50 - 1:50 PM
Roof Gardens, Basic Design Principles
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: 00G106
Provider: Carlisle Syntec
Presenter: Richard Stever
This one-hour course includes the learning of proper design principles for Roof Gardens.
Subjects include proper membrane selection and application, drainage principles, plant
selection, methods of vegetation and the performance advantages of Roof Garden implementation.
Attendees will also learn various methods of Roof Garden installation as well as advantages and disadvantages of traditional and modular Roof Garden systems.
1: Understanding the three main types and why one is used over the over.
2: Understanding installation procedure.
3: Understanding common vegetation types.
4: Understanding industry trends and advantage of Roof Gardens.
1:50 - 2:50 PM
Sustainable Materials in Restrooms, Locker Rooms and Other Applications
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | Course: ISP10B
1 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals | USGBC Course ID: 0090007573
Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Sponsor: Scranton Products
Presenter: Mark Tachino
• Define and describe the material characteristics of High Density Polyethylene (HDPE).
• Describe how HDPE recycled content reduces environmental impact.
• List several ways HDPE materials offer both initial and long term improvements to the indoor
air quality of any project.
• Explain how responsible manufacturing is a critical part of any product’s life cycle assessment
and give several examples of these environmental improvements over traditional
This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.