Jersey City, NJ - 7 HSW and 1 GBCI Credit Hours
- Business & Professional
- Saint Peters University - Dinneen Hall - McIntyre Conference Center - FREE PARKING, Jersey City NJ
' Building Envelope Theme'
New York, NY
July 30, 2014
357 W. 36th Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10018
7 AIA HSW Credit Hours towards your state license
1 AIA LU Credit Hour
1 GBCI General Credit Hour for LEED Professionals
7:45 AM Registration Begins
Morning Refreshments will be provided.
8:15 - 9:15 AM (8:15 - 9:15 per Deke Rife)
Continuous Insulation and Beyond
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | Course: HP104
AIA Provider: Hunter Panels: K169
Presenter: Tom Scriven
Understand the advancement of national model energy codes as they relate to the energy efficiency
of the building envelope define and understand "continuous insulation" and how its use effects energy
code compliance, the current ASHRAE 90.1 Standard, LEED and the IECC. Understand the NFPA 285 fire test and its role in code complaint wall assemblies. Discuss the environmental features and benefits of polyiso insulation including thermal performance, long service life, recycled content, negligible GWP and zero ODP.
1. Understand the advancement of the national model energy codes as they relate to the
energy efficiency of the building envelope.
2. Define and understand "Continuous Insulation" and how its use effects energy code
compliance, the current ASHRAE 90.1 Standard, LEED, and the International Energy
3. Understand the NFPA 285 fire test and its role in code complaint wall assemblies.
4. Discuss the environmental features and benefits of polyiso insulation including thermal
performance, long service life, recycled content, negligible GWP and zero ODP.
9:25 - 10:25 AM (9:25 - 10:15)
The Solar-Ready Roof: Optimize the Design
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: isf00a
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Harry Lubitz
In this one hour course, you will learn about solar system basics including terminology,
the various components of a solar system and ideal times for system review. We will
discuss various roof applications and conclude by learning about optimized solar design.
1. Describe solar systems, components and rooftop applications
2. Describe the steps of the review process for a Solar-Ready Roof
3. Explain why a metal roof is a perfect solar platform
4. Describe why non-penetrating mounting systems are beneficial.
10:35 - 11:35 (10:30 - 11:05) (video did not work on Deke's computer)
The Role Of Dynamic Glazing In Driving Energy Efficiency In Buildings
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IRA08A
1 GBCI CE Hour | GBCI Course ID: 0090009729
Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Chris Ketchum
Course Description:This one hour course about dynamic glazing will discuss what dynamic
glazing is, what its purpose is and why it is beneficial. You will learn about various types of dynamic
glazing and how they contribute to energy reduction and LEED certification.
1. Define and identify the different types of dynamic glazing.
2. Compare and contrast the different types of dynamic glass with standard commercial
3. Explain the improvements to energy performance, indoor environmental quality and LEED
certification when incorporating dynamic glazing into a project.
4. Describe how to evaluate and specify dynamic glass.
11:45 - 12:45 PM (11:15 - 12:10)
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact Surfacing – ‘Dekton by Cosentino’
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: Ron Blank & Associates, Inc.
Presenter: Glenn Kross
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight
into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing
unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and
2. Define ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates
intrinsically unique properties.
3. Discuss designing with ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical
resistance, absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with ultracompact surfacing material.
12:45 PM (12:15 - 12:30) Lunch sponsored by Greg Trimboli with Dynamic Closures
1:30 - 2:30 PM (1:30 - 2:30)
Thermoplastic Roof Membranes - Characteristics, Applications, & Attributes
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | Course #: SDR110
AIA Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Jim Gage
The program will cover a broad range of subjects including: differnt types of Thermoplastics,
environmental impacts and membrane performance.
1. Learn the industry trends in the use of various roofing systems and why these trends are
2. Learn about the various types of thermoplastic membranes (compounds, fabric reinforcements,
fleece backings) and the latest technology in membrane securement.
3. Learn about thermoplastic membrane reflectivity levels (new and aged) and how this affects
energy usage, potential condensation accumulation, and LEED certification.
4. Learn how environmental forces (UV, heat, wind, etc.) affect long-term thermoplastic roofing
2:40 - 3:40 PM (2:40 - 3:40)
How to Measure a Building
1 LU Credit Hour | AIA Course #: AIA1
AIA Provider Name: The Building Survey Corp.
AIA Provider Number: 40103286
Presenter: David Breitbarth
Get insider tips from David Barth, AIA, Founder of the Building Survey Corp. in New York City,
an architect with over 30 years of experience documenting and drawing existing building structures.
This course will provide an overview of how to properly measure and document a building,
technology, equipment, site and worker safety and the art of producing existing conditions drawings
of any building in the world. It will focus on the average architect confronted with measuring and
documenting rectilinear building structures on paper in Plan, Elevation, and Sectional Views.
Course Learning Objectives:
1. Course participants will learn how to properly prepare themselves and their staff for documentation
of existing building structures.
2. Review survey techniques, methods and special equipment used to properly capture Data in the
field and document findings in AutoCAD.
3. Learn how to keep your staff, tenants and the general public safe while measuring a building.
4. Practical degrees of accuracy, quality control and precision of survey equipment as well as an
overview of the difference between 3D laser scanning equipment versus hand held distance finders.
3:50 - 4:50 PM (3:50 - 4:45)
Air and Vapor Barriers
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: SDR119
AIA Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Paul Markel
Course will describe the effects of air movement and condensation issues in the roof system. It will also cover energy codes emerging and how air and vapor barriers fit into the new codes.
5:00 - 6:00 PM (12:30 - 1:25)
Drafting an Understanding of Polished Concrete (added course for one credit - not Building Envelope)
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: AFP1
AIA Provider: CureCrete - AIA Provider #: J550
Presenter: Deke Rife
Understanding Polished Densified Concrete utilizing the RetroPlate System of polished concrete.
1. Densified Polished Concrete
2. Identify the challenges, disadvantages of using floor coatings and membranes as opposed to
chemical densifiers. Identify the advantages of using chemical densifiers over floor coatings
3. Learn how the process of concrete densification eliminates the need for additional applications,
and can enhance the overall performance of concrete for the life of the floors, when using the
right chemical densifier product.
4. Identify the added benefits that polishing can add to densified concrete and the low life cycle cost
factor when compared to other types of flooring materials and coverings such as tile, terrazzo.
This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.