New York City - Lightenupandshoot Event
Friday, June 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM - Saturday, June 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM (EDT)
This is not your everyday seminar/event. Learn Mikey's basic formula to every session of photography: 33% gear, 33% technical, 33% YOU (creative and communicating with models) and 1% luck.
Lightenupandshoot was started because Mikey was tired of pixel peepers, brand wars, conceited photographers, calculators and pretty much anything else that gets in the way of making photography fun. He developed this event with all those things in mind and the result is a jam packed weekend full of all the inspiration, knowledge and fun needed to get you out shooting more and actually being happy with the results. Lightenupandshoot is a worldwide philosophy that is simple: photography is fun.
How soon do you want to start shooting amazing pictures with Speedlights and become a Light Chaser?
* Learn how to use the 5 variables of exposure creatively. This isn't going to be an event for the camera scientist. Learn how to creatively use each variable to get the results to fulfill your creative vision.
* How to use speedlights, natural light, strobes anytime day or night. In addition to using off-camera lighting; learn how to use ambient life to enhance images. Most photographers getting into lighting fail to do this.
* Learn composition techniques needed to grab a beautiful image within seconds after finding a model
* How to find a location anywhere - location shooting trains the eye and reinforces decision quick decision making
* How to shape and control light using 5 basic light modifiers that you can carry with you anywhere. In addition to basic modifiers Mikey will go over some techniques that are used in the movie industry (flags, ND's, etc.)
More cool stuff you will learn...The Approach
Lighting and Gear is important. But, what about bringing out your creative artistry and communication skills?
* How to fnd and build instant repoirte with a model. Yes, you will find subjects you have never met before and invite them for a photo session
* How to build a portfolio without ever having one professional job
* How to get studio shots in any ordinary house, hotel or space using only one light, or multiple light sources if so choose
Would your photography improve if you could comfortably approach anyone to be your model?
A lot of Lightenupandshooters tell us they just don't have the courage to approach people to be models like we do in our videos. Mikey is going to show you the techinques on how to be comfortable approaching anyone for a shot. Once you have the basics of lights mastered, you are really going to shine when you can have an endless supply of models to shoot anytime/anywhere. Overcoming the fear of rejection and developing communication skills is the key.
FREE Bonus Stuff
Copy of the Lightenupandshoot Workbook and Vbook - The Vbook is a great primer prior to the event
A telephone conversation with Mikey prior to the workshop to go over your goals, gear needed and any questions you may have.
After our conversation you will be given an assignment that will help prepare you for an intensive weekend of shooting. This is where your workshop begins. Feel free to email me during this period.
What do I need to bring to the workshop?
Camera, lenses, modifiers, stands, reflector/scrim, notepad, pen, speedlight, pistachio nuts and triggers. If you don't have triggers, you can use Mikey's Cyber Syncs. The most important thing is relax and have fun; it's going to be a long two days of intense shooting. If you don't have the gear needed for the workshop, Mikey will advise you on any purchases you may need to make prior to the workshop (he will also offer tips on saving money). It is advisable to bring the absolute minimum gear because there will be a lot of walking. There will be an inventory of gear for each participant and Mikey will advise you what to bring. Sharing certain pieces of gear (like stands and modifiers) will help keep the weight off our backs.
*June 1 - 2 (Meet and Greet May 31st - 8pm)
*Location - New York City (Location TBA)
* Time 9:30am-8pm Friday, 9:30am-8pm Saturday
(most workshops go until late both nights, but this is optional and depends on the group)
PRIOR TO THE EVENT MIKEY WILL BE GIVING A PRESENTATION AT B&H PHOTO MAY 30-31. YOU ARE INVITED TO ATTEND THIS 2 HOUR PRESENTATION EITHER WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY. NOT REQUIRED, BUT WILL BE A GOOD PRIMER. YOU WILL BE GIVEN PRIORITY TO ATTEND.
Who is Lightenupandshoot?
Michael "Mikey" Thompson - Westcott Top Pro and international photographer that splits his time in between Tampa, Florida and Medellin, Colombia. Michael decided to quit his job as a mortgage specialist when he landed his first professional photography merely by accident 3 years ago. "I love the excitement and unpredicatability of where photography can take you. I love my day job as a photographer, but what inspires me most is shooting with other photographers."
The Lightenupandshoot project started out of a passion for sharing knowledge with others. Their mission is to inspire photographers to take amazing pictures with minimal gear. If you are looking for a bunch of pixel peepers, you might as well surf on. Lightenupandshoot!