Neko Case | Lottery
Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 8:30 PM (CDT)
Neko Case Lottery
Singer-songwriter Neko Case will perform an intimate concert before 180 fans as part of the Poetry Foundation’s Open House at 61 West Superior Street. The special show will take place Saturday, June 25, at 8:30 pm, in the new building’s performance space.
Ninety pairs of free tickets to the performance will be awarded via a lottery drawing. The Poetry Foundation will accept entries from 12:00 PM CT on Monday, June 20 to 5:00 PM CT on Tuesday, June 21. Any duplicate entries, after the first entry, will be void.A drawing will take place after the entries have been received, and winners will be notified by email on June 22.
Known for “songwriting skills [that] tend to eschew visceral connections for intellectual intrigue and poetic mystery,” (Pitchfork, March 2006), Case is a lover of poetry who has been published in Poetry magazine. In the November 2007 issue, as part of the magazine's "View from Here" series, Case contributed an essay called "My Flaming Hamster Wheel of Panic About Publicly Discussing Poetry in This Respected Forum." Case’s piece counters the misconception that poetry is for the elite.
“Poetry is for everyone. That belief animates the Poetry Foundation, and it’s a message that Neko Case has conveyed poignantly in her essay in Poetry magazine,” said Poetry Foundation president John Barr. “How exciting, then, that she will help us open our new building to the people of Chicago with a performance of her own music.”
Case’s breakout album, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, was released in 2006 and was widely considered one of the best of that year. Her 2009 follow-up, Middle Cyclone, debuted at number three on the Billboard charts. Known for her solo work as well as her collaboration with the New Pornographers, Case is popular with both fans and critics. She will tour extensively this summer and will return to Chicago in July to play the Pitchfork Music Festival.
Official Rules for Neko Case Drawing
1. ELIGIBILITY: No purchase necessary. The drawing is open to legal U.S. residents age 18 or older. Employees of The Poetry Foundation, its advertising and promotion partners, and the immediate family and household members of each are not eligible. All federal, state, and local laws apply. Void where prohibited. The Poetry Foundation and its advertising and promotion agencies, are not responsible for printing, distribution or production errors and may rescind, cancel or revoke this drawing based upon any such error without liability and at its sole discretion. By participating in this drawing, entrants waive all right to, and hold harmless, The Poetry Foundation and its advertising and promotions partners from any loss, damage or expense arising out of or in connection with participation in this drawing or acceptance, use or misuse of any prize.
2. TIMING: The drawing begins at 12:00 p.m. (CT) on Monday, June 20, 2011 and ends at 5:00 p.m. (CT) on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 (“Submission Period”). The deadline for receipt of entry is 5:00 p.m. (CT) on June 21, 2011.
3. HOW TO ENTER: To enter, complete and submit the online drawing entry form located at http://poetryfoundationnekocase.eventbrite.com before the end of the Submission Period. Entries must include all the information requested in the online form. The first and last name provided by online entrants will be the identity of the entrant and, if selected and qualified for a prize, the identity of the winner. The use of a bogus name or e-mail address will disqualify an entrant. Limit one (1) entry per e-mail address, per person and/or per family or household. Any duplicate entries, after the first entry, will be void. By entering the drawing, entrant consents to being placed on The Poetry Foundation's mailing list (both e-mail and regular mail) and to receiving promotional materials from The Poetry Foundation. All entrants agree to abide by these official rules. All entries become the property of The Poetry Foundation. In the event of a dispute, the “entrant” is the person in whose name the e-mail account is held. The Poetry Foundation is not responsible for lost, incomplete, garbled, misdirected or failed computer transmissions or for technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to electronic malfunctioning of any network, hardware, or software which may limit an entrant’s ability to participate in this drawing. Proof of sending will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by The Poetry Foundation.
4. DRAWING AND AWARDING OF PRIZES: The Poetry Foundation will select ninety (90) winners in a random drawing from all eligible entrants on or about Wednesday, June 22, 2011. The Poetry Foundation will compile all of the entrants and randomly draw a winner. The drawing and awarding of prizes will be conducted by a representative of The Poetry Foundation whose decisions on all matters relating to this drawing are final. The winner will be notified via the e-mail address provided in his or her online entry form. If the winner does not respond or forfeits the prize an alternate may be selected from the pool of eligible entries. Prizes are non-transferable and must be accepted as awarded. The Poetry Foundation in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual who attempts to undermine the legitimate operation of the drawing by tampering with any website mechanism, acts in a disruptive manner or violates these official rules. Acceptance of the prize indicates acceptance of all the contingencies described herein and inherent to the prize offered. Odds of winning depend on the number of qualified entries received.
5. PRIZE DETAILS: Each winner will receive two (2) tickets, for the winner and a guest, to attend a performance by Neko Case at The Poetry Foundation Open House on Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 8:30 p.m. (doors at 8:00 p.m.), located at 61 W. Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60654. The tickets must be accepted as awarded and may not be sold or transferred in any way, including, but not limited to, posting the tickets on eBay, Craig’s List or similar auction site. The winner must present valid photo ID (which must match the name on the winner’s entry form) and the winner’s guest must be present with the winner in order to gain admittance to the performance. The Poetry Foundation is not responsible for canceled, delayed, suspended or rescheduled events beyond its control. No prize substitution or cash redemption is allowed by the winner, nor will any substitution be awarded in the event the performance is cancelled for any reason. All taxes on the prize are the sole responsibility of the winner.
6. GENERAL: The drawing shall be governed by Illinois law. By participating in the drawing, entrants agree that Illinois courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute or litigation arising from or relating to the drawing.
7. LIST OF WINNERS: For the names of the winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
The Poetry Foundation
61 W. Superior Street
Chicago, IL 60654
8. DRAWING SPONSOR: The Poetry Foundation, 61 W. Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60654.
The Poetry Foundation, publisher of Poetry magazine, is an independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in our culture. It exists to discover and celebrate the best poetry and to place it before the largest possible audience. The Poetry Foundation seeks to be a leader in shaping a receptive climate for poetry by developing new audiences, creating new avenues for delivery, and encouraging new kinds of poetry through innovative partnerships, prizes, and programs. Opened to the public in June 2011, the Poetry Foundation building in Chicago provides new space for the Foundation’s extensive roster of public programs and events. It also houses a public garden, a library, and an exhibition gallery, as well as the offices of the Poetry Foundation and Poetry magazine. For more information, please visit www.poetryfoundation.org.
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.