San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Ecosystem and Natural Heritage
Course Objective: To provide trail managers with an understanding of how trails, when created
properly, can fitwithin the specific environment, work to support the local ecosystem and help to
Course Details: This course would be delivered as a one day, 7 hour program. At the end of the
• understand the relationships between the natural environment and trails;
• learn what is involved in the assessment of an existing or proposed trail corridor
for important natural environmental features;
• identify strategies to minimize, negate, compensate for or reverse negative impact
on the environment along and adjacent to an existing or proposed trail corridor;
• learn how to conduct regular ongoing assessment of environmental impact of
trails users on and adjacent to a trail;
• explore ways to educate trail users on the local ecology and environment and
the importance of respecting andprotecting that environment;
• accommodate the needs of people of all ability levels with respect to access,
respect for, and appreciation of the environment along the trail;
• application of the technologies that relate to this field.
1.How can trails save the planet?
2.Where are we going?
3.Connecting People to Natur