Natural Areas Work Party & Fire Ecology Walk
Saturday, October 27, 2012 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, CA
Loading your connections...
Join Kirra Swenerton of SFRPD's Natural Areas Program on a walking tour of the July burn area on McLaren's southern slopes. Observe what's gone and what's already coming back, and learn about California grasslands fire ecology right here in our own backyards.
Then after some refreshments, stick around for a massive clean-up party!
We are calling all hands on deck to make light work of OPM (other people's messes) in our favorite open spaces. Bring your family, your friends, your out-of-town guests!
We also encourage you to bring your favorite beverages, desserts, and snacks to share -- add to the fun however you can. Really, it's the only way to get back at those fools who pitched their garbage out the window in the first place...
Our first priority will be trash pickup. Overflow crowds will be put to work weeding, clearing paths, and otherwise doing what needs to be done.
- 8:45AM - 9:00AM -- Tea, coffee, pastries
- 9:00AM - 9:45AM -- Fire Ecology Walk with Kirra Swenerton
- 9:45AM - 10:00AM -- Tea, coffee, snacks
- 10:00AM - 10:15AM -- Work Party orientation
- 10:15AM - NOON -- Work Party
- NOON - 1:00PM -- Picnic lunch & refreshments
- Meet at Mansell/Visitacion parking lot
- Overflow parking is across Mansell Street along Shelley Drive (We will be picking up trash along Mansell and Visitacion Ave so please don't park there!)
- Old clothes—you will be getting dirty
- Layers of clothes—long pants and long sleeved shirt
- Sturdy, closed-toed shoes with good tread
- Raingear and/or sun block and sun hat
- Water or additional snacks for special dietary needs
- Gloves—if you have them, otherwise we will supply
- Projects take place rain or shine, barring high winds or dangerous weather conditions.
- SFRPD will provide all the necessary tools.
- Please arrive promptly for the work party so everyone can receive instructions and be informed of safety concerns.
- The Fire Ecology Walk will begin on time as well so please arrive a few minutes early, we'll have hot tea, coffee, and pastries waiting for you.
- To learn more about this event, contact Joe Grey, SFRPD Natural Areas Program volunteer coordinator, (415) 831-6328.
- Dowload a pdf flyer for this event here.
Have questions about Natural Areas Work Party & Fire Ecology Walk? Contact Save McLaren Park / SF Recreation and Parks Dept.