MV & EE // Images
Friday, July 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM - Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM (EDT)
7/13 10pm $7/9 MV & EE: http://mvandee.blogspot.com/
By necessity, any conversation about the music of Matt Valentine (MV) and Erika Elder (EE) is eventually going to touch on their prolific output. The Vermont duo's constant production has simply become one of its defining facts. In addition to a steady stream of studio albums for Ecstatic Peace!, MV & EE have continued to release small-batch recordings on their own Child of Microtones label, including a Dick's Picks-style series of live recordings on the offshoot Heroine Celestial Agriculture subsidiary. Over the course of this massive discography, MV & EE's music has ranged through overlapping regions of pastoral psych-folk, cosmic country and blues, and expansive, Crazy Horse-inspired guitar jams that occasionally cozy up against what was once known as grunge. As with many such prolific acts, the duo's work can strike a balance between the deeply rewarding and the exasperating, as each listener is bound to choose a favorite from among the different aspects of their sound. When fatigue sets in, there seems to be little harm in sitting out a few albums and waiting for them to cycle back around again. - Pitchfork (7.4)
Images' album Know What I Mean is a loopy lustrous treat, briefly glinting with an art-rock edge before it dives back under the woolen waves of psych-rock. Only seven tracks long, the whole album still comes across as a couple of guys genuinely doing something different." Live Pavlovic (Decoder Magazine)
When & Where
The Pinhook has become Durham’s premiere venue for live music, excellent DJ’s, basic chilling, and collaborative creative events. Here’s what we got:
- Weekends of Musical Mayhem- featuring the best bands from The Triangle, North Carolina, and well beyond.
- Weeknight Monthlies like Open Mics, Open Jams, Karaoke, Trivia, and DJ sets.
- THE GREATEST BAR STAFF IN THE UNIVERSE!
- Pool, Tekken, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Backgammon, Scrabble, etc. (and people with whom to play these games)
- CHEAP. DRINKS. $3 Tallboys, $2 PBR, $1.50 Schlitz, $4 Well Drinks Monday-Wednesday.
- Nightly specials – the perfect way to make cheap drinks even cheaper.
- A PATIO OUT BACK! OUR PATIO IS SO AWESOME. I LOVE YOU, PATIO.
But the most important thing we have is YOU. The Pinhook is YOUR place. We believe that communities thrive when there is a public place for their citizens to be themselves, whether on stage or on a barstool, relaxing or rocking out. For Durham and the Triangle, the Pinhook is that place.
You gotta make your own fun in life, but we’re here to help.