Learn to Build a Website on One Day
I know — most designers have sat through at least one web design training course in the past ten years. But we promise that this one is different. Muse (codename) is a brand new software application from Adobe. Muse uses a similar approach to design as tools such as InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator to enable graphic designers to plan, design and publish HTML websites without being restricted to templates, and without needing to learn to write code. In just one day, you’ll learn how to use this deep set of design and layout features to deliver professional, highly designed websites based on the latest standards.
What you will learn:
Plan your site
- Quickly create a sitemap for your web design easily adding and rearranging pages and their relationship to each other.
- Apply master pages so that you can quickly apply elements that are common across multiple pages.
- Define site properties like margins, page width, page alignment and hyperlink state colors.
Design your site
- Layout your website design using tools very similar to those found in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator including common shortcuts and features like multi-file place, smart guides, paste in place, the eyedropper tool, the hand and zoom tool, page columns and gutters and more.
- Dynamic layout resizing allows your webpage to get longer to accommodate the content on each page.
- Place and style images and graphics including .PNG, .PSD, .GIF and .SWF and enjoy precise control over color, fill, opacity, stroke, rounded corners, gradients and effects. Placed images and graphics will be optimized automatically when the website is previewed or published.
- Enjoy round-tripping editing with Photoshop and copy or paste image data directly from Photoshop or Fireworks.
- Embed HTML code snippets from sources like Google Maps, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
- Add, edit and format text, even create and save text styles like in InDesign.
- Choose between web safe and display fonts. Display fonts will be rasterized on deployment with the text included in the ALT tag for the graphic so search engines can still “read” the content
- Add and completely customize smart site navigation that automatically reflects your site map layout.
- Easily add fully customizable interactive slideshows, tabbed and accordion panels, lightboxes and more.
- Enable Tooltips and remote rollovers.
- Apply up, over, down and normal states for Photoshop buttons and menu items.
- An Assets Panel helps you keep track of all assets associated with your site including the ability to re-link or Edit Original, much in the same way the Links Panel works in InDesign.
- Preview your design in Muse, or in your browser.
Publish your site
- Create a trial site for testing and review purposes. This trial site will be hosted with Adobe and you’ll be able to send the URL to clients and business partners for review purposes.
- You can convert your trial site to a live site by keeping it hosted with Adobe.
- Or export your site for ftp to other hosting providers.
Best suited to designers:
- Who have never designed a website
- Who have design designed websites but rely on someone else to build them
- Who are comfortable building a HTML website but would prefer not to have to code
- Who rely on template driven systems to build websites without writing code
About our Presenter
Claudia McCue spent more than 20 years in real-world print production — from paste-up through early electronic prepress to current Mac & PC systems. She now specializes in teaching both creative and production professionals how to use Adobe products without hurting themselves or others. She is the author of three books, a contributor to InDesign Magazine, and a frequent presenter at industry conferences. She is a Certified Technical Trainer, and an Adobe Certified Expert for Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator, and InDesign.
When & Where
AAF-Jacksonville is the local chapter of the American Advertising Federation (AAF), within the AAF 4th District. Through the efforts of AAF-Jacksonville and fellow chapters, the 4th District American Advertising Federation is dedicated to serving members by protecting and advancing advertising interests, including the freedom to truthfully advertise legal products. AAF-Jacksonville fulfills set goals through effective government relations, professional development, public education, advertising standards, community service and recognition of excellence.