MPLS Swappers March Food Swap
Saturday, March 19, 2011 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM (CDT)
Minneapolis, United States
MPLS Swappers is a Minneapolis-based larder swap, dedicated to sharing amazing homemade food, building community, and empowering others to turn their home food production from a hobby to a habit. Join MPLS Swappers for our inaugural food swap!
What to Bring
- One or more homemade, homegrown, or foraged food items, plus samples to try. Need inspiration? Home-canned vegetables and fruits, pickles, jams, chutneys, jellies, vinegars, kombucha, sauerkraut and other ferments, cheeses, breads, cakes, starters, honey, granola, homegrown herbs and vegetables, foraged foods, handmade sausages, backyard eggs, soups, spreads, etc!
- Please bring a list of ingredients on all your foods, if possible, or be able denote any special dietary restrictions – gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free, nut-free, etc. Let’s be respectful of our fellow foodies with food allergies and intolerances, shall we?
- Bring as few or as many items as you like – the more you bring, the more you get to take home!
- Please package/wrap your food in a way that protects it and makes the amount you are swapping clear. Fellow swappers will be examining your goods, and we want the food to stay in one piece!
- If possible, bring samples for others to try.
We will provide swapping cards, name tags, and other necessary materials for the event. Swap will be held in a silent-auction format, and you will be free to choose which trades to accept for your products. Bring as much or as little as you like; there are no caps or minimums. Please package/wrap your items to keep them safe and intact while they are being perused by other swappers!
How the Swap Works
- Swaps will be auction style. Each swapper will have a sheet filled for each item they have to swap and a few lines under the item. The sheet will be available at the event.
- The first 30 minutes of the swap will be devoted to sign-in, set-up, and greetings.
- The next 30 minutes will be the time for everyone to walk around, examine, and sample items from the other swappers.
- Then, we’ll take 30 minutes for everyone to write down on the sheets of paper the items they would like to swap. Example: if Frankie has some picles, you will write on her sheet of paper what you are willing to swap for it. Multiple people can put in swap offers for the same item.
- The final 30 minutes is when all the swapping actually happens. Everyone will go back to their original sheets of paper and look at their offers. They will decide which swap they would like to accept for each item, find that person via their name tag, and make the swap.
Spread the Word and Invite Your Friends!
Thanks to Madame for donating the use of their community space.
When & Where
MPLS Swappers is a Minneapolis-based larder swap and social gathering inspired. Share in amazing homemade food, help build community and empower others to turn their home food production from a hobby to a habit.