The WebFWD program started last year to extend Mozilla's resources to independent, open source projects extending Mozilla's vision for the open web. Since then, we've been privileged to have some very awesome teams join us.
We are taking this day to invite you to get involved! Learn straight from them about who they are, what they vision, and how you can hook in - whether through coding something, testing something, writing, marketing...read below for the specifics.
What you will do:
- Meet our awesome teams.
- Get involved with them and with Mozilla.
- Sharpen your skillz (be they technical, marketing, writing, project management or more).
- If you are in the Bay Area, see Mozilla's HQs and eat some *really* good stuff.
Check out the projects below and, if you are game to jump in, join us in Mountain View or on Air Mozilla starting at 9am. Go to http://air.mozilla.org and if you come to the building, be sure to call Diane at 415-250-1724 or Pascal at 650-526-8348. And chat with us on IRC #webfwd
BigBlueButton enables universities and colleges to deliver a high-quality learning experience to remote students.
We'd love your help to:
- Further explore the creation of an HTML5 client using WebRTC.
- Prototype playback of strokes using Mozilla's popcorn.js.
CASH MUSIC: What Wordpress did for bloggers, we're doing for musicians. We're building a free and open platform that’s available to all artists, designed in partnership with artists and labels.
Here's some specific ways we'd love your help (we also did a blog here on this! http://blog.cashmusic.org/2012/05/10/webfwd-hack-day-this-saturday/):
- Providing front-end love for the admin: this includes jQuery/AJAX enhancements, mobile stylesheets, and help in converting some ugly markup to mustache. HTML/CSS/JS/jQuery/basic PHP/basic git.
- Working on D3 visualizations. We've got a whole pile of analytics and behavioral metrics. Turning them into visually rich reports would go a long way. D3/canvas/JS
- Enhancing 3rd party connection workflow — we've got a system to define and manage 3rd party API connections, but it's pretty raw. We'd love to add an OAuth component to allow supported services to simply show a popup and return a valid token, with post-add scripts in place to setup additional components, present the user with choices, etc. This would be the deepest dive, and require familiarity with jQuery/PHP/OAuth/service APIs (like MailChimp, Twitter, etc...)
Entropy Wave is an open video provider of complete systems for video encoding and distribution to content producers and distributors, as well as a Gstreamer-based software media platform for application and embedded developers.
Check out our code at:
...and often, there is a demo server running at http://preston.entropywave.com/
iHeartCode is an interactive learning platform that runs from a browser. It teaches people how to use git, work on the command line, code in Python and create web apps without the fear of breaking their PC. It stems from the belief that creation spurs learning. We are also working towards a collaborative learning revolution.
Ways you can help:
- Writing lessons that teach Python for iheartpy.com
- Skills: A strong grasp of Python, readable English and a good sense of humour.
- Internationalization and translating lessons to other local languages.
- Skills: Proficiency in a local language and basic writing skills.
- Spreading the word!
- Skills: Networking and loads of Facebook friends. :D
OpenPhoto is a photo application that lets you store your photos on Dropbox, Amazon S3 or in your garage. We'd love your help with:
- Usability testing: use our iPhone and Web application and be brutally honest on how we can make them better!
- Marketing; how do we get the word out to more users? Unique ideas welcome!
- Code review on the iPhone/Obj-C code.
See more on us at:
Synbiota is building a bio-lab in a browser. Synthetic Biology promises to revolutionize the world in ways we have yet to imagine. Synbiota is working towards this revolution by providing powerful, accessible and open tools for synthetic biology design to the world.
We'd love your help:
- Touching up existing UI features and implementing advanced UI features for the bioCAD tool and the Synbiota main site. Must work on both PC and mobile devices - please see skills required above.
- Creating and editing a high energy video describing Synbiota and what we are striving to do. Smilar in nature to the WebFWD vid. Skills may include: knowledge of cinematography, video editing software, graphic deign software. Here is the link to the repo: https://github.com/Synbiota/GENtle2
Tomahawk gives you to access to all of your favorite music in one powerful media player. Seamlessly jump from playing a song off your local machine, to one streaming from your other machines, to a recommendation from Spotify, to a pre-release on SoundCloud to your favorite indie band on Jamendo.
We need help with:
SQL queries/database optimization.
UX and design: you have experience with (desktop) application interaction design (particularly in media players applications), web design and/or pure graphic design (iconography, aesthetic, etc.).
Check our code out at: https://github.com/tomahawk-player/tomahawk
..and our Resolvers at: https://github.com/tomahawk-player/tomahawk-resolvers
When & Where
WebFWD by Mozilla
WebFWD is Mozilla's accelerator. We combine the best of open source development and entrepeneurship to make the web better.