Movies in the Garden: SHAFT
Friday, September 20, 2013 from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM (CDT)
New Orleans, LA
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Join the New Orleans Museum of Art and the New Orleans Film Society as we present the 2013 Fall series of Movies in the Garden in the Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden! All programming for the evening is free with admission to the event. To celebrate the exhibition Gordon Parks: The Making of an Argument, we’re screening the original 1971 SHAFT (directed by Gordon Parks) on Friday, September 20th. Activities and food start at 5pm. The film will begin at sundown (approx. 7:30 pm).
Come before the movie starts for live music and art activities!
- 5:30 - 7:30 pm: Music by Calvin Johnson
- 5 - 7:30 pm: Art on the Spot
- 7:30 pm (sundown): Film screening: SHAFT (Rated R for adult situations, strong language, & violence)
Admission: $6 for adults, $3 for NOMA/NOFS Members (Members are allotted 4 tickets at the discounted rate) & children, 7 to 17. Children 6 and under are free.
Non-member guests who purchase admission to the museum will also have access to the Sculpture Garden and activities.
- No refunds or exchanges.
- Due to the sculptures and the architecture, no outside food or beverages will be permitted. Multiple food vendors will be available for refreshments.
- No bug candles with an open flame allowed.
- No pets allowed.
- Please bring a blanket or folding chair for seating. And an extra blanket in case it gets chilly!
- When available, films will be subtitled for the hearing impaired.
- Please print and bring your ticket(s) to the event entrance (attached in PDF format). If you cannot print your tickets, a check in list will be at the door. Names are listed by purchaser.
NOMA members can call (504) 658-4130 to obtain a new card, retrieve their member #, or renew their membership.
Rain Info: The screening of SHAFT will take place rain or shine. If weather becomes a factor, the film will take place in the Stern Auditorium inside NOMA. A formal decision will be made no later than 3pm on September 20th. Guests who purchased tickets through Eventbrite will receive an email with options for a refund or attending the indoor screening. Other notifications will be on NOMA’s web site, Facebook, and Twitter. The music by Calvin Johnson and the art activity will also move indoors if need be.
When & Where
The New Orleans Museum of Art
MISSION: The mission of the New Orleans Museum of Art is to inspire the love of art; to collect, preserve, exhibit and present excellence in the visual arts; to educate, challenge and engage a diverse public.
VISION: The guiding vision of the New Orleans Museum of Art is to advance its position as a premier national visual arts Museum vital to the cultural and educational life of our city, state and region.