Mobile Conference + Game HackDay
Check out speakers bio and blogs at http://www.moboturbo.com
We accept Walk-in registration at the door.
Come for the hacking, stay for the conference, mingle with best expert judges and win the best prizes!
Gus Tai, General Partner from Trinity Ventures, will speak on "How to design for Andriod apps and be successful", Antonio Tomarchio of Beintoo on "Integrate the Gamification Layer to Max Your Users' Experience", and James Smith from Heyzap on "M-commerce" to monetize from yous app.
Hackers: Got an idea for a game or gamification application? Itching to try it out? iOS, Android, HTML5? Sure! Come and jam with other mobile developers.
This is a family-oriented event. We encourage bring your family together to brainstorm and build a game or gamify an app. We have on-site experts to assist you in idea, product concept, design and implementation.
Speakers on the deck:
::Bill Nguyen, CEO, Color.com (he is a geek at heart and loves flip-flops)
::Gus Tai, General Partner, Trinity Ventures (few VCs can tell you how to make successful monitzable Android apps, he is one!)
::Antonio Tomarchio, co-founder/CEO, Beintoo (had publications on network theory and performance advertising algorithms)
::James Smith, CTO, Heyzap, (serial founder geek, buit HealthThirst, Wegot.TV and exited)
:: Holly Liu, Co-founder/first Product Designer, Kabam, (made sure their first game avatars had phenomenal hair dos!)
:: Noman Ali, co-founder/CEO, Peanut Labs (he knows well how to design impressive social games to make money)
:: Albert Chen, Assistant Professor, Game Design&Dev, Cogswell Polytechnical College (he teaches non-edible game salad)
Emcee for the Demo/Pitch:
::Redge Snodgrass, Sr. Director of Strategic Alliances/Innovation at Alcatel-Lucent and Advisor at Skout.com (at Demo 2010 for Skout, “Our rehearsal was amazing, except for the fact that I didn’t know what to say, as I’d forgotten my script. And the fact that the machine crashed on stage. We all felt fear.“ Redge can make the dead laugh!)
Judges on the deck:
::Dave Maestri, co-founder/CPO, Metamoki (he is dubbed one of the top game designers in such discussion thread on Quora)
::Noman (Nomi) Ali, CEO, Peanut Labs (he loves to throw top-of-the line Pirate Cruise Parties, and will invite one winner to the next party!)
::Jude Gomilla, co-founder/CEO, Heyzap(regarless of the best hair-do among geeky founders, he slept on couch for months before getting funded)
::Antonio Tomarchio, co-founder/CEO, Beintoo (hair-do by nature. His Italian accent talked Fruit Ninja into using Beintoo's SDK. )
:: Holly Liu, Co-founder/first Product Designer, Kabam (Made sure their first game avatars had phenomenal hair dos!)
:: Lilli Thomson, Game Developer Advocate, Google (she is an expert on PlayN, an Open Source toolkit used to make the Google HTML5 Angry Birds game.)
:: Fred Gilbert, Design Manger, Google+ for Mobile and Game, Google (he accidentally walked by the "fish bowl" at Color.com, and got snapped to be on our judge panel!)
Expert-In-Residence (on-site deep technical assistence)
- Stephan Branczyk [overall programming]
- Albert Chen [game design]
- Georgia Dagnall [on Android programming
- Shawn Shen [Google technologies ]
- Zach Hanna [IT, server related issues ]
- Bess Ho [iOS, and overall front end programming ]
Who should attend -
Stress-resistent, goal-driven, fun-seeking and creative mobile hackers and talented mobile graphics/UX/UI specialists.
Rules of the Game -
1. Create a mobile game, or gamification app, i.e. an app that helps make or spice up any routine task in life into a fun challenge. Preworked app/game is fine, bring it over to polish and/or integrate with other gamification or monetization SDK, so long as it hasn't been published yet.
2. Bring your team, find teammates, or work on your own.
3. Any APIs, SDK integration will be great. iOS, Andriod? whatever you are good at, or desire to try.
4. Be original and have fun!
Many Cool prizes for winners -
- 3 AppDevConf Conference Pass on Oct. 26:27 ($800 each)
- One lucky invite to the most pretigious who's-who Pirate Cruise Party in social gaming, by Peanut Labs ($600 value, but priceless for the people you will meet!)
- Two hours of FREE legal counseling with Justin Hovey and Heidi Mayon of Pillsbury Winthrop, one of the nation's top gamification law firmsm, on corporate matters, IP, or any other legal matters effecting your startup/games/app
- One iPad offered by our sponsor Beintoo for a winner who can successfully integrate with Beintoo's SDK. [download from http://www.beintoo.com/business/ ]
- 3 Sprint Developer Conference Pass ($350 each)
- OneSky, translation management platform supporting over 70+ language translation, offers 6 months free on their Crowd Plan ($414 each) [very useful for apps that need translation/localization. ]
- O'Reilly give e-books to the first 100 attendees/hackers that check in.
- Android Developer books
- And more schwags...
- 9:00 - 9:30 am Registration, breakfast
- 9:30am - Opening Welcom, Rules explained, find the team, hacking starts, "doctors" are in for onsite advises
- 9:45 - 10:05 Antonio Tomarchio on Gamification and SDK
- 12:00noon Lunch
- 12:10 - 12:35 Keynote: Bill Nguyen
- 12:40 - 1:15pm Gus Tai, "Create a Monetizable Android App"
- 2:00 - 5:00 Speakers:
- 2:00 - 2:20 Albert Chen, Professor in Game Design&Dev, Cogswell College,
- "Crash Course in Game Salad"
- 2:25 - 2:45 Lillie Thompson, Developer Advocate, Google Games,
- "Programming Cross-Platform Games with PlayN"
- 3:00 - 3:20 Holly Liu, co-founder/Product Design, Kabam,
- "Building Social Games For You, Not For Your Mother."
- 3:25 - 3:45 James Smith, CTO, HeyZap
- 4:00 - 4:20 Noman Ali, CEO, Peanut Labs
BREAK, More Hacking
- 6:00 - 7:00 pm Dinner
7:30 Deadline to submit for demo/pitch
- 8:30 - 9:40 pm, Demo/Pitch, 3 min. per team, 2 min Q&A
- 10:00 -10:20 pm, Winner announced, award given.
- Drink more beer!
- 10:30pm, say Good Night!
Color.com kindly offers their swanky space in downtown Palo Alto for us with food/drinks/snacks and the whole shebang!! Plus they really really love hackers too. It's only 2-min. walking from Caltrain station. Color's own mobile super hackers will be onsite to help out and advise.
Bess Ho (well known woman-geek, iOS class instructor, author of a book, Entrepreneur-in-Residence at Archimedes Ventures) &
Shirley Lin(Chief Player at YoXi123, curator of Entrepreneurs RoundTable, startup connector)
Join us on Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=238161742899601
Extra Schwag to give away! Real hackers have higher priority:
- "Programming Android", by Zigurd Mednieks, O'Reilly #1 Android Book Author
- "Building Web Apps for Google TV", co-authored by Shawn Shen
- "Sams Teach Yourself the Twitter API in 24 Hours", by Christopher Peri, Bess Ho
- "Gamification by Design- Implementing Game Mechanics in Web and Mobile Apps", by Gabe Zichermann, Christopher Cunningham
- "Android Cookbook", by Ian F. Darwin
When & Where
Silicon Valley Web Builder
Silicon Valley Web Builder (SVWB) is where you build your vision of technology. Our mission is to become the leading web organization in Silicon Valley. We promote technological innovations and address technical challenges facing the web community.