MIT CAST Marathon Concert
Friday, April 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM (EDT)
The four-hour CAST spring concert, following up on 2011’s popular FAST Forward New Music Marathon, features renowned guest artists Hauschka, Pamela Z., and Dewa Alit performing solo works and with students in MIT’s own Gamelan Galak Tika, Glass Lab Orchestra, and Rambax with Lamine Touré. Traversing the spectrum of contemporary musical practice, the marathon will conclude with an unprecedented world fusion version of Terry Riley’s anthemic In C, featuring Senegalese drums, original glass instruments, electronics, and western instruments.
Cash only for purchases at the door.
When & Where
CAST (Center for Art, Science & Technology)
The Center for Art, Science & Technology (MIT CAST) facilitates and creates opportunities for exchange and collaboration among artists, engineers, and scientists. A joint initiative of the Office of the Provost, the School of Architecture and Planning (SA+P) and School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (SHASS), the Center is committed to fostering a culture where the arts, science and technology thrive as interrelated, mutually informing modes of exploration, knowledge and discovery.
CAST’s activities include:
• soliciting and supporting cross-disciplinary curricular initiatives that integrate the arts into the core curriculum and create new artistic work or materials, media and technologies for artistic expression
• spearheading a Visiting Artists program that emphasizes creative process, extensive interaction with MIT faculty, students and researchers, and cross-fertilization among disciplines
• assisting in the presentation and curation of performing and visual arts or design relevant to the research of engineers, scientists, and the MIT community as a whole
• disseminating the creative and intellectual production supported by the Center to the public through performances, exhibitions, installations, and a biennial symposium
• supporting graduate students and postdoctoral researchers whose work advances the mission of the Center