This best-selling two-day intensive course provides hands-on technical training for OpenStack™ aimed at system administrators and IT professionals looking to get started on an OpenStack Cloud deployment. It is based on the Folsom release. Each of the two days will consist of lecture, demos and group lab exercises.
- Day 1 provides: an overview of the OpenStack architecture, its key components, and how they interact; a deep dive on Nova compute services and its interfaces and operating principles; and a methodical walkthrough of how to provision a virtual machine in an OpenStack cloud. Day 1 also provides an in-depth of networking in OpenStack, including a review of core network management services; address management; and an overview of traffic flows, with an opportunity to apply these concepts in hands-on labs.
- Day 2 turns attention to storage paradigms in OpenStack, starting with a deep dive on Swift object storage. It covers: the underlying assumptions of Swift, as well as use cases, architecture, capabilities, configuration, security and a practical view of deployment and key storage management tasks. Next, we look at configuring OpenStack to meet HA SLAs, and close the day with a comparative analysis of OpenStack and legacy commercial virtualization technologies.
The course is limited to 12 students for the 2-day class. All course materials will be provided by Mirantis, including access to shared compute resources for labs. Students may bring their own laptops, but are not required to use them for the class. A light breakfast and lunch will be available to all course participants.
- Comfortable with Linux CLI
- Good understanding of virtualization & hypervisors
- Some experience with Linux networking
By the end of this course, class participants will have covered:
MODULE 1: OpenStack Overview
- Overview of project history and releases
- Core projects overview (Nova, Glance, Keystone, Swift, Quantum, Cinder)
- Nova architecture overview
- VM provisioning walkthrough
MODULE 2: OpenStack Networking Overview
- KVM networking with Linux bridges
- Single-host vs multi-host networking
- The role of Network Manager
- Different Network Manager types
- Floating IPs
- Traffic Flow
LAB 1: OpenStack basic operation: Single and multi-node, user and admin views
MODULE 3: Swift
- Project overview
- Usage and use cases
- The Ring, RingBuilder, partitioning
- Account, container and object servers
- Deployment and Operations
LAB 2: Swift – CRUD Containers, objects; Using Swift API
LAB 3: Break-and-fix session
MODULE 4: OpenStack in Production
- OpenStack HA (High Availabiliity) Overview
- OpenStack monitoring
- OpenStack Physical deployment
- OpenStack cluster testing
- Deployment tools overview
LAB 4: Multi-node OpenStack Deployment
MODULE 5: Advanced Topics
- OpenStack/VMWare gap analysis
- Community activity and future roadmap
When & Where
Mirantis is the pure-play OpenStack Company. We deliver all the technology, integration, training and support needed for running OpenStack. More customers rely on Mirantis than any other company to get to production deployment of OpenStack at scale. Among the top three companies worldwide in contributing open source software to OpenStack, Mirantis has helped build and deploy some of the largest OpenStack clouds. Mirantis is headquartered in Mountain View, California and is venture-backed by August Capital, Ericsson, Insight Venture Partners, Intel Capital, Sapphire Ventures and WestSummit Capital.