Minneapolis, MN - CE Academy, Inc. Live Event
Tuesday, May 13, 2014 from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM (CDT)
‘Continuing Education & Networking Event’
May 13, 2014
5 AIA HSW Credit Hours towards your state license
8:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning pastries, fruit and coffee provided.
8:30 – 9:30 AM (verified by BG)
Thermoplastic Roof Membranes - Characteristics, Applications, & Attributes
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | Course #: SDR110
AIA Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: David French
The program will cover a broad range of subjects including: different types of Thermoplastics,
environmental impacts and membrane performance.
1. Learn the industry trends in the use of various roofing systems and why these trends are occurring.
2. Learn about the various types of thermoplastic membranes (compounds, fabric reinforcements,
fleece backings) and the latest technology in membrane securement.
3. Learn about thermoplastic membrane reflectivity levels (new and aged) and how this affects energy
usage, potential condensation accumulation, and LEED certification.
4. Learn how environmental forces (UV, heat, wind, etc.) affect long-term thermoplastic roofing
9:40 - 10:40 AM (9:40 - 10:35) BG
Use of Snow Retention Devices: Science or Fiction?
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ISF07A
AIA Provider: InfoSpec Inc.
Presenter: Harry Lubitz
Discover the art and science of snow control and its effects, such as snow migration on rooftops of structures. Learn about the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention, as well as the do's and don’ts of retention devices, product selection, and site specifics.
1. Describe the history of snow control on rooftops
2. Explain when and where you should or shouldn't use snow retention devices
3. List the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention
4. List the common pitfalls of product selection and site specifics
5. Describe how to value engineer snow retention systems without sacrificing performance
6. Explain the proper selection and specification of snow guards.
10:50 - 11:50 AM (10:45 - 11:50) BG
Densified Concrete & Densified Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: CDI102
AIA Provider: Curcrete Distribution, Inc.
Presenter: Deke Rife
Learn more about the differences between densified concrete and densified-polished concrete. Identify how chemical densifiers can enhance the performance of concrete floors and the many alternatives and choices that are available on the market today. Also learn more about densified-polished concrete and how this process takes densified concrete one step further, providing all the benefits of a chemically densified floor, with an aesthetically pleasing decorative finish.
1. Identify the differences between "densified concrete" and "densified-polished concrete."
2. Identify the challenges, disadvantages of using floor coatings and membranes as
opposed to chemical densifiers.
3. Identify the advantages of using chemical densifiers over floor coatings and
membranes. Identify the added benefits that polishing can add to densified concrete
and the low life cycle cost factor when compared to other types of flooring materials
and coverings such as tile, terrazzo, etc.
4. Learn how the process of concrete densification eliminates the need for additional
applications, and can enhance the overall performance of concrete for the life of the
floors, when using the right chemical densifier product.
12:00 PM Lunch Sponsored by Greg Trimboli with Dynamic Closures
1:00 – 2:00 PM (2:00 - 3:05) BG
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact Surfacing – ‘Dekton by Cosentino’
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Jeff Cannata
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight
into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing
unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and
2. Define ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates
intrinsically unique properties.
3. Discuss designing with ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical
resistance, absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with ultracompact surfacing material.
2:10 - 3:10 PM (12:55 - 1:55) BG
Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: Metals USA
Presenter: Bill Walker
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation
will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a
project earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.