Meet the Editor: A Webinar with Deborah Halverson
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 from 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM (EDT)
Have you ever wanted to meet a real editor? Here is your chance!
Deborah Halverson is the author of the upcoming Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies (July 2011) and has been working with authors—bestsellers, veterans, debut, and aspiring—for over fifteen years. The books she’s edited have garnered awards and rave reviews, and many of the aspiring writers she’s coached have landed agent representation and lucrative book deals.
Deborah walks the walk: She is also the awarding-winning author of two teen novels, Honk If You Hate Me and Big Mouth (Delacorte/ Random House). With two novels and a decade as an editor with Harcourt Children’s Books under her belt, she is now a freelance editor, author, writing instructor, and founder of the writers’ advice website DearEditor.com. Deborah speaks extensively at workshops and conferences for writers. She edits adult fiction and nonfiction while specializing in teen fiction and picture books.
For more about Deborah, visit her site.
What writers say about Deborah:
- “Deborah’s feedback is smart and focused. She makes the kind of comments you can really do something with. My manuscript was sold at auction for a 2-book deal.”–Jeff Hirsch, author
- “Deborah’s perceptive editorial remarks helped me look at my manuscript in a whole new way and gently pushed me and my book to a higher level. After implementing Deborah’s suggestions, I received a 2-book publication deal. Her concise, discerning suggestions taught me many skills I have carried over in the crafting of other novels.”–Kristen Landon, author
- “My manuscript received two offers and both publishers agreed to have a two-book offer…. Your touch brought the book to a higher level. I couldn’t thank you enough for that.”–Ji-li Jiang, author
- “Deborah is not only an excellent, discerning, and responsive editor, she is also a great pleasure to work with. She has a fine command of language and a great sense of story.”–Jean Ferris, author
- “Deborah is a crackerjack editor–creative, caring, and clever–and those are just the C’s.”–Kathleen Krull, author
- “In addition to being a keen editor with discerning tastes and inspired vision, Deborah is also an enormously talented writer who is tuned in to the interests and issues that engage young readers. Her energy, experience, enthusiasm, and knowledge make her an extraordinary teacher. She is a clear and engaging communicator, and her sly sense of humor sparkles.”–Robin Cruise, publisher, author
Katie Davis' Webinars
Children’s author/illustrator Katie Davis has published nine books and appears monthly on the ABC affiliate show, Good Morning Connecticut, recommending great books for kids. She produces Brain Burps About Books, a podcast about kidlit, a blog and monthly newsletter. Katie has volunteered in a maximum security prison teaching Writing for Children and over the last dozen years has presented and keynoted at schools, writing, and educational conferences. This year she served as a Cybils judge and has also judged the Golden Kite, smartwriters.com, and Frontiers in Writing awards. Recently Katie was selected to be on the Advisory Board for the Brooke Jackman Foundation, a literacy-based charity.