MedHelp's Healthy Hack Day Hackathon
Friday, May 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM (PDT)
Interested in hacking for health? Have a talent for designing simple, beautiful apps?
Hack on crowd-sourced ideas from MedHelp's millions-strong community
Hack on your own.
MedHelp's Healthy Hack Day Hackathon is an event to bring together the MedHelp community and Bay Area designers/developers to build health apps that help make the world a better, healthier place to live.
Crowd-sourced app ideas from the MedHelp community will also be presented to help developers and designers to build out a health hack in a day.
No matter type of hacker you are:
- iPhone developer
- Android developer
- Web developer
- UI/UX designer
- Graphic designer
- Idea Hacker
If you have a passion to create awesomeness that you think others would enjoy using - come hack with us! We'll be providing APIs to help you build your hacks into production-ready apps in no time. We'd also like to encourage teams to think about open-sourceing their applications for the good of the developer as well as the health community.
Compete for cash prizes, eat free healthy food and drink while meeting new people and working with new technologies to help you build and deploy health apps that people will love.
As the largest most complex industry in the U.S., healthcare as we know it is in dire need for disruption - can you help build something badass?
- Hacks can be based on one of the app ideas from the MedHelp community or one of your own
- Open-sourcing your hacks is highly encouraged
- Designers are highly encouraged to attend.
- Teams of up to 4 people (can have more but only getting up to 4 prizes per team)
- We'll be beefing up our WiFi access point so you'll be good
- Come with your own team or find new friends during the happy hour on Friday night or during the event
The MedHelp community is comprised of millions of member across the globe connecting with each other around the idea that each and every person has the ability to take charge of their own health and well-being. For this event they have donated their ideas and wishes to help develop apps that would help them and countless others in living each day to its healthiest.
- 6:30pm: Doors open/Registration
- 7pm- 7:30pm: Kickoff presentations, tunes supplied by DJ Fishstixx, dinner served, networking, pitches and team formation.
- 7:30pm - whenever: Idea generation and coding begins
- 10:00am: Doors open again. Continue working on app with teams formed on Friday. Senseis and mentors will be available to help with technical issues.
- 1:00pm: Lunch served.
- 6pm: Pitches begin. Pitches limited to 3 minutes per team.
- Amy Pulafito - Marketing & Media - Rock Health
- Chris Hogg - CEO/Co-Founder - 100Plus
- Ken Marshall - Founder & Chief Executive - FoodCare
- Dr . Enoch Choi - MD & Partner - Palo Alto Foundation Medical Group
- Khaled Hassounah - CTO - MedHelp International
- Innovation / ambition - 20%
- User interface / user Experience - 20%
- Overall quality - 20%
- Quality of pitch / impact - 20%
- Use of presented technologies - 20%
- Better medicine/pill tracker and reminder
- A better way to find, discover recipes
- Daily workout app
- Diabetes tracker
- App that helps you determine what foods you cannot eat based on your allergies
- An app to help patients that have trouble sleeping; with tips, visual images, and sounds for inducing sleep.
- A more comprehensive medical record ap
- Pet meds tracker
- A way to send an encouragement song to someone
- A MedHelp forums app
- App for nursing mothers
- An app to help multiple family members care for an elderly person
- First place - $500
- Second place - $250
- Third place - $125
- FoodCare: FoodCare’s mission is to transform the dietary well being of America by providing nutrition-related apps and services to consumers, health-related technology companies, healthcare providers and foodservice businesses.
- Moves app: Now your iPhone can tell you how much you move. Moves automatically tracks your everyday life and exercise. Just carry your phone in your pocket or bag. Seeing your everyday exercise can help you think about your life in a new way. Start with small changes that can lead to a fitter lifestyle and healthier habits.
- Jordan International Aid (http://www.jordaninternationalaid.org) Jordan International Aid is a faith-based, humanitarian aid and relief 501(c3) Non-Profit organization. We are an all-volunteer group where 100% of donations are directly distributed in Haiti, Cambodia, Kenya, and other countries.
- Health:Refactored: a 2-day conference taking place in Silicon Valley, May 13 – 14, 2013 for developers and designers to learn and share the latest hacks, hone their skills, and make the necessary connections to thrive in the health industry.
- If you're interested in participating as a sponsor or event partner contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org