San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Pre-Conference Reception: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM (MDT)
Main Conference: Thursday, May 1, 2014 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (MDT)
Here are a few key pieces of information about our conference:
- The one day conference is a summit for health care professionals and the community on the past, present, and future of maternity care and infant feeding in Indian Country, focusing on promoting breastfeeding through the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative, community outreach, and compliance with the WHO Code.
- Keynote speakers include:
MD; former Surgeon General, Navajo Nation;
Director, Center for Native American Health, University of New Mexico
PhD; Professor, Yale School of Public Health; Chair, Global Nutrition Council, American Society
- The conference is free of charge to anyone whose employment relates to Native Americans and maternal child care/healthcare.
- THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR ACCOMMODATION SCHOLARSHIPS IS NOW CLOSED-We are offering limited numbers of free hotel rooms on a first come, first served basis for the night of April 30. We encourage at least 2 people from each hospital/workplace to attend. If you agree to share a room with a colleague, this will allow us to accommodate more people (Rooms will be paid for by our conference sponsor, The Kellogg Foundation, a WHO Code compliant company).
- If you would like to book your own room at the Hyatt please call (888) 421-1442 and let them know you will be attending this conference hosted by Boston Medical Center. If needed, our official group code is "BIOM." In order to receive our reduced conference rate please book your room by March 31st .
- THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR TRAVEL SCHOLARSHIPS IS NOW CLOSED-A very limited number of travel scholarships are also available. Please contact IndianCountryBreastfeedings@gmail.com if you are interested.
- The conference is sponsored by the Kellogg Foundation and held in collaboration with the United States Breastfeeding Committee
When & Where
The Breastfeeding Center, Boston Medical Center
Founded in 1999, and part of the Division of General Pediatrics at Boston Medical Center (BMC), The Breastfeeding Center is one of the most prominent breastfeeding research, teaching, and advocacy centers in the United States. Our areas of work include hospital policy change, obesity prevention, and American Indian/Alaska Native breastfeeding promotion and support.
Nationally, The Breastfeeding Center is supporting the growth and development of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI), which promotes optimal maternity care for all women, and increases breastfeeding initiation, duration, and exclusivity. Anne Merewood, PhD, MPH, IBCLC, Director of The Breastfeeding Center, is Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Human Lactation(JHL), the official journal of the International Lactation Consultant Association.
The Center works together with the clinical lactation team at BMC, Massachusetts’ first Baby-Friendly hospital, and with academic affiliates at the Boston University Schools of Medicine and Public Health.
Visit our website at: http://www.bmc.org/breastfeedingcenter.htm