Firecat Studio opens its doors on the first Friday of each month for a free day of coworking from 10:30 am - 3:30 pm. Bring your laptop and phone and get some work done while putting yourself into a refreshing stream of new faces and ideas.
From noon to 1:30, we break for a brownbag lunch and panel discussion.
Originally scheduled for February, postponed 1 month due to weather.
February: Project Collaboration Portals
Do you ever find yourself in the position of herding cats? Getting work done as part of team is difficult. Whether you're an official project manager, a team contributor, organizing or simply badgered into helping with the PTA or soccer team - keeping a bunch of people on task and focused can be maddening. So we're going to review three web-based tools designed to help with exactly that. We'll explore how each system:
- Keeps track of the players. Who's on the team? What is each person good at? How to reach them?
- Organizes any documents the team uses to do its work. Schedules, explanations, training materials, worksheets, timesheets, deliverables. With version control, preferably.
- Tracks tasks needing doing.
- Establishes deadlines and communicates them easily to the team.
- Notifies folks of their assignments and deadlines. OK, and nagging. Nagging's important here.
- Helps the team communicate and brainstorm solutions.
- Tracks any costs incurred, including time on task.
- Reporting - so whoever's in charge can know what's going on, what it's costing, and so forth.
- Basecamp by 37signals. You may have heard of this one, especially if you're in the web or design fields. Since Firecat Studio uses this one all day every day, Firecat CEO Firecat Sue will take point on this one.
- Sharepoint by Microsoft. If you work for a large organization, chances are you're already knee-deep in Sharepoint as your company Intranet. But Sharepoint has a Team Site feature that certified Sharepoint consultant Tom Resing will be showing us.
- OKHotShot.com. Sometime Firecat and creative entrepreneur Judd Maroney will show us his SaaS project management portal offering that offers all that Basecamp does, and more, including document management, threaded discussions, scheduling, time tracking, invoicing and reporting. Judd's background as a project manager at USAA led him to develop the more powerful tool HE needs, designed for companies that have multiple clients and projects going. And it's FREE.
If you use and love another system, we'd love to hear about it. Please do bring your own ideas and examples.
How Firecat First Friday Coworking + Brownbag Works
You'll come away refreshed with new ideas and new contacts in San Antonio's tech, startup, marketing and design communities.
See Firecat Studio's coworking FAQ for more information about this event, and about Firecat's coworking and brownbag series.
When & Where
World IA Day San Antonio
All-volunteer group dedicated to gathering San Antonio's tech and design communities together to collaborate and share.