Managing Visitors & Volunteers in Natural Areas
Presented in a hybrid format (a combination of online and in-person training), this workshop will provide guidance on how to integrate visitors and volunteers into natural areas management.
Online: To be completed at your own pace anytime during the period 19 August — 11 October 2013
In–person: One day in-person training on 16 October 2013, at Gold Head Branch State Park, Keystone Heights, FL
Tuition: $225 (does not include lodging)
Optional Lodging: $45/person/night at GHBSP (2 people per cabin; NATA will make reservations and match roommates) Please note there is no internet access at the park. If you prefer to secure your own loding we recommend the Sleep Inn in Waldo, FL.
Meals: Coffee, water, snacks, and lunch will be provided by NATA during the training on 10/16/13. Workshop participants are responsible for any other meals.
Optional events at GHBSP:
- Free interpretive hike: 2 - 4:00 PM, led by park staff, covering the history and structure of GHBSP
- Evening dinner and campfire social: 6 - ? PM
· Learn to effectively and appropriately plan recreation opportunities (trails, facilities, etc.) for visitor use
· Apply knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines to develop new facilities and evaluate existing ones
· Create effective and informative interpretation for visitors
· Develop an understanding of benefits and challenges of managing a volunteer program
· Learn about the types of trainings and legal issues required for a volunteer program
· Learn how to recruit volunteers and the important elements of volunteer job descriptions
Note: Group tuition rates are available for a single agency registering multiple participants — please contact the workshop coordinator (email@example.com) for details
For more information:
Due to the format of the workshop refunds cannot be offered once the online material has been accessed. A partial refund may be possible before online workshop material has been accessed; all refund requests are subject to a $50 cancellation fee.