Man Up! Make Your Move 2014
Saturday, May 3, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The Second Annual E.M.B.O.D.I (Empowering Males to Build Opportunities for Developing Independence) Conference for adolescent males will be held on Saturday, May 3, 2014, 9:00AM-1:00PM at New Jersey Institute of Technology located at 150 Bleeker Street, Newark, New Jersey 07102. The E.M.B.O.D.I Conference for adolescent males ages (13-17) is designed to expose young men to educational programming that address: college preparedness, financial literacy, gang prevention and education, character development, entrepreneurship, health and wellness, dress for success, substance abuse awareness, violence prevention, personal development, and the legal system.
Students participating in the conference will have an opportunity to engage in workshops as part of the adolescent track that will create opportunities to develop a higher level of self-confidence, resiliency and responsibility. Students will also be provided access and application of diverse learning opportunities that focus on decision making. Parents, guardians, and community members will be provided resources and educational materials that offer supportive services to families. Adults attending the conference are invited to engage in the adult track of the conference. The adult track will offer a workshop for caregivers that will focus on strenghtening families and understanding the various supportive roles that parents, extended family and alternative caregivers have in an effort to reduce individual personal risk of adolescents by increasing family attachment.
The Goals and Objectives of the E.M.B.O.D.I. Conference are to:
• Provide opportunities for interaction with community professionals and positive role models
• Learn and develop skills to increase fiscal responsibility
• Create opportunities to develop a higher level of self-confidence, self-efficacy and resilience
• Provide resources to increase community involvement and increase protective factors
• Increase awareness, coping and social skills in young men
• Motivate young men to commit to specific behavioral and health goals to reduce their personal risk
• Increase knowledge, self-awareness and decision-making skills
• Address violence and substance abuse prevention education
• Develop and increase conflict resolution skills
• Understand the importance of appropriate and inappropriate attire
• Provide insight to the legal system, voting, and understanding how laws impact youth
• Encourage character and personal development
Sponsored in part by: New Jersey Institute of Technology/TRIO Programs
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Montclair Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.
Post Office 239
Montclair, New Jersey 07042
Contact #: 917-592-8244
Email Address: EMBODI@MONTCLAIRALUMNAE-DST.ORG
Registration Contact: Tanisha Riley - firstname.lastname@example.org
Workshop/Presenters Contact: Dishawn Miller - email@example.com
Sponsorship/Resource Tables: Jennifer Payne-Parrish - JenniferPayneParrish@yahoo.com
When & Where
Montclair Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
The Montclair Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was chartered on May 6, 1962. Since its inception, the chapter has remained dedicated to community outreach while maintaining the high ideals of our glorious sisterhood.
Our chapter has awarded thousands of dollars in scholarships to many well deserving youngsters. We have provided college and career workshops, field trips, book donations, grants for artistically gifted students, and a science, math and technology mentorship academy.
We are politically active, socially concerned women who host political forums, conduct voter registration campaigns and voice opinions to elected officials. Our health professionals sponsor an annual health fair and each year, the chapter runs and walks for Breast Cancer Research. MAC Sorors are also culturally conscious; we support the arts with donations to cultural institutions as well as our presence at arts events.
Learn more about us at: