San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
What: Makers, Mimosas & Matinees, an afternoon of creative workshops & film screenings
When: Saturday, September 22, 12–3pm
Where: 934 Brannan St. (between 8th and 9th)
How Much: Free; admission not guaranteed without advance registration; register on EventBrite
What else: Must be 18+ to participate & 21+ to consume libations; no experience required
Whether you fancy yourself a maker, artist or craftsperson, or have two left thumbs when it comes to creative production, you can try something new alongside some of the Bay Area's most talented emerging artists. Join seven "makers" exhibiting in The San Francisco Foundation & SOMArts' Annual Murphy & Cadogan Contemporary Art Awards Exhibition for an free to attend afternoon of artist led creative workshops and a screening of the film and video work of Fatema Abdoolcarim, Seamus Harte and David Olsson.
Regardless of your skill level, you must bring to the worktable a sense of adventure– you'll be given two randomly chosen workshop assignments (possibilities detailed below) when you arrive. They say orange is the color of creativity, so mimosas will be served by a cash bar.
Here's the full order of operations:
Step 1 (right now): RSVP through EventBrite. Make sure you arrive by 12pm on the day of the event to be guaranteed a schedule.
Step 2 (12pm): Check in to the SOMArts lobby to receive your two workshop assignments, chosen at random. If your workshops don't appeal to you, do what you were never allowed to do in school: grab a drink & swap schedules socially with other students before the bell rings.
Step 3 (12:30pm): The bell rings for the first of two workshops. Each workshop lasts around 30 minutes.
Step 4 (2pm): Following a short break for socializing and refreshments, enter the SOMArts theater to enjoy an hour of film & video work by Fatema Abdoolcarim, Seamus Harte and David Olsson.
Potential workshop offerings include:
- How to Scratch Vinyl like a DJ with Dan Battle
- Editing Critique Session for Artists and Everyone Else with Seamus Harte
- Paper Making from Your Recycling Bin with Mika Boyd
- How to Boil Water in a Refugee Camp and Other Necessary Tips for Living with Michal Wisniowski
- Site Specific Participatory Soundscape Making with Kate Short
- Emulsification Lifting (transferring photos to paper with a simple easy to learn method) with Elizabeth Moran
- How to Make Your Own Moccasins with Teresa Baker