Atlanta Lutherans hold Day of Service
to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
on Janaury 17 at 9am
You are invited to celebrate the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday by participating in a Lutheran Day of Service on Monday, January 17. Youth and adults will gather at the Porter Sandford III Performing Arts Center to work on the following projects:
- Project 1 - Rice for Refugee Families - for Lutheran Services of Georgia
- Project 2 - Outdoor Projects - for Wonderland Gardens & Lyon Farm
9:00 AM - Gathering & Welcome
9:30 AM - Rice for Refugees
- You will create family sized rice packages from 50-pounds bags of rice. Volunteers will repackage rice in to usagle five-pound packages that will be give to refugee families newly arrive inthe Atlanta area. Rice is a main diet stable of these families. Last year's rice project created a supply that lasted almost six months!
- Project location is the Pavilion at Wonderland Gardens or the Sanford Center Lobby (bad weather)
- Visit Lutheran services of Georgia on the web at http;//lsga.org/
9:30 AM - Outdoor Projects at Wonderland Gardens & Lyon Farm
- Wonderland Gardens is committed to stewardship of the Earth through programs that actively promote organic gardening, green education, recycling and healthy living in communication with nature. The Wonderland Gardens mission si to create a self-sustaining green space destination and community resource that connects people to nature.
- Visit wonderland Garden on the web at http://wonderlandgardens.org
This is a free activity sponsored by Lutherans who wish to serve. You are not required to bring anything other that your willingness to serve. The following information may be useful.
- LSG requests that you bring a bag of rice of any size
- Gardening tools will be provided by Wonderland Gardens through the Atlanta Tool Bank. However, it would be helpful if you are able to bring your own tools for your personal use. Tools used include weed eater with brush cutters, loppers, hand pruners, pitch forks, wheel barrels and large tarps.
Lutheran Day of Service begins with our gathering at the Sandford Center promptly at 9am. Individual projects are scheduled for 3-4 hours (estimated completion).
All projects should be complete before 2pm.
When & Where
MLK 2014 | Lutheran Day of Service
Gene Lewis | Lutheran Theological Center in Atlanta |Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Direct Phone: 404.299.8880