Longmont Hackathon Weekend 4/12-14/2013; Mobile App Hackathon
Friday, April 12, 2013 at 6:00 PM - Sunday, April 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM (MDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Have an app idea or want to create a new civic app ?
LongmontHackathon is a three day (see schedule below) event being sponsored by the City of Longmont, Pratt Street Association, Skyline High School, Western Digital, Holland and Hart, Constant Contact, and ESRI, among others. It is designed for attendees (technical and non-technical) to build apps/mobile apps that help create better interfaces to Longmont 's city government. Meet people, build stuff, win prizes, help your community.
First 50 developers to register and check-in to the event on Friday will receive commemorative event T-shirt. First 20 Volunteers to register and check-in to the event on Friday will receive a commemorative event T-shirt as well.
The following is a list of the weekends agenda:
Friday, April 12th. Dinner will be served.
- 6PM - Friday Evening - Intro/keynote/kickoff speech and lightning talks.
- 7PM - Friday Evening - Vendor Presentations, Announce assignments for 8PM.
- 8PM - Friday Evening - Team pitches focused on creating better interfaces to government via city data sets look at other submitted ideas/data sets. Assignment for 9PM: sketch/brainstorm app UI. Get ready to code.
- 11PM - Friday Evening - End of the first night. Time to go, get some rest and come back the next day refreshed!
- 8AM - Saturday Morning - The development fun continues at the hackathon. Work with the teams that you formed on Friday to produce the app.
- 12PM - Saturday Afternoon - Take a break, stretch, and enjoy some lunch.
- 6PM - Saturday Evening - Take a break, stretch, and enjoy some dinner.
- 11PM - Saturday Evening - End of the second night. Time to go, get some rest and come back the next day refreshed!
- 8AM - Sunday Morning - The fun continues with the final seven hours of the hackathon. Work with the teams that you formed on Friday to produce the app.
- 12PM - Sunday Afternoon - Take a break, stretch, and enjoy some lunch.
- 1PM - Sunday Afternoon - Prepare Idea Pitches. Promptly at 3PM, teams will begin pitching their app ideas limited to three (3) minutes per team.
- 3PM - Teams will begin pitching their app ideas, limited to three (3) minutes per team.
- 4PM- Sunday Afternoon - Judges will begin review of the App Idea Pitches.
- 5PM- Sunday Afternoon - Award Presentations
- 5:30 PM - Event ends
If you are interested in building a team, please visit our Google+ community at https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/107932990199747146657/communities/114860326434850013447
Prizes (unless otherwise noted, all prize money will be awarded In the form of cash or check to the team or individual.)
- Best Civic Hackathon Overall App (Judging criteria below)
- 1st Place - $1,000
- 2nd Place - $750
- 3rd Place - $500
- City Council's Choice App
- $100 Best Buy giftcard for each team member or individual
Apps will be judged based on the criteria below and weighted accordingly.
- 10% Weight - user experience
- 30% Weight - increment/innovation
- 30% Weight - impact/potential/sustainability
- 30% Weight - sharing resource/collaboration
- Follow us @hackLongmont for live updates and photos from the event
- "Like" us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/Longmonthackathon
- Find us Google+ https://plus.google.com/b/107932990199747146657/107932990199747146657/posts
- Western Digital
- Holland and Hart
- Constant Contact
When & Where
City of Longmont, Co
Longmont is an emerging high tech center with a highly trained and educated workforce, business friendly leadership and world class infrastructure (including being one of the only cities in America building out a city owned gigabit data network for homes and businesses). Residents enjoy an excellent quality of life and Longmont is host to or close to several fortune 500 companies (in town: GE, Seagate, Amgen, Microsoft). Amenities close include a thriving startup community in nearby Boulder (Techstars; Foundry Group Venture Capitalists, Google) an international airport in Denver, several universities and federal government agencies. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that Longmont is home to more than a few award winning microbreweries (Oskar Blues, Lefthand Brewery and the Pumphouse).