Living Streets - GreenStep Cities Workshop
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM (CDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Living Streets GreenStep Cities Workshop
For City Environmental Commissions, City Staff and Citizen Volunteers
Tuesday May 14 6:30 to 8:30pm (networking at 6pm)
League of Minnesota Cities
145 University Ave W, Saint Paul, MN 55103
Learn how your city can improve water quality and bike and pedestrian safety when making improvements to streets! Learn from cities how they are implementing MN GreenStep Cities Best Practices for Complete Green Streets to create networks of multimodal green streets.
- Lake Elmo will share how they are including rain gardens in street reconstruction
6:00pm Networking – Meet volunteers from other metro area Cities with Citizen Environmental Commissions.
6:30pm – Case Study and Resource Presentations on Living Streets (Complete Streets + Green Streets)
7:30pm – Small Group Discussion – share next steps you are working on in your city, ask questions of our presenters, brainstorm solutions together for building buy-in with city staff and residents
Event Sponsors – Alliance for Sustainability, Bike Walk Twin Cities, GreenStep Cities / MPCA, Emmons Oliver Resources, Metropolitan Council, Envision MN, MN Goes Green, Ramsey County, Transit for Livable Communities
City Policies and Project Examples
- Maplewood – How we passed our Living Streets Policy - Carol Mason Sherrill, Cindy Schafer, Ann Palzer, Maplewood Environmental & Natural Resources Commission Members. Living Streets Demonstration Project - Matt Metzger, and Matt Kumka, Barr Engineering
- Lake Elmo – Including rain gardens in street reconstruction, Brett Emmons, EOR Inc. Past City Council Member
Bike and Pedestrian Resources
- Metro Bike Policy Planning – Steven Elmer, Planning Analyst, Metropolitan Council, Transportation Services
- Funding and Design – Steve Clark, Bike Walk Twin Cities – low-cost and “no-extra costs” solutions to livable streets (road diets, lane diets, improved crossings, etc.) Local and State funding options.
Water Quality Resources
- MPCAMinimal Impact Design Standards for Innovative Street Design - Anne Gelbmann, Phil Muessig, MPCA
Funding Update – from all of our presenters - state & watershed project funding options.
When & Where
Alliance for Sustainability, www.afors.org & Sustainable Stillwater
Alliance for Sustainability - www.afors.org
Linking citizens, congregations and cities for sustainable communities!
2801 21st Ave S., Suite 100 Minneapolis, MN 55407
Sean Gosiewski, Executive Director, 612-250-0389 email@example.com