LIVE and WEBINAR: Solving the Puzzle of Autism
CAN'T MAKE THE EVENT?
DON'T WORRY, IT IS ALSO AVAILABLE AS A LIVE WEBINAR!
Solving The Puzzle of Autism: Using Tactile Therapy Techniques
Presented By: Robyn Merkel-Walsh, MA, CCC-SLP
0.6 ASHA OR AOTA CEUS
Autism is a developmental disability that affects, often severely, a person’s ability to communicate and socially interact with others. According to recent statistics from Cure Autism Now, autism is believed to affect 1 in every 150 people and the rate is on the rise. The intensity of symptoms varies widely; however, all people on the spectrum display impairments in communication, social relationships and patterned behaviors. Due to high incidence of communication issues with the ASD population, Speech Pathologists are almost always part of a team of professionals who treat these individuals.
This course will look at the current methodologies and treatment techniques when working with children who present with Autism. Various methodologies will be outlined and discussed including Applied Behavioral Analysis, Verbal Behavior, DIR methods, Oral Placement Therapy and Biomedical Theories. Combining approaches allow therapists to assess children with ASD and implement a comprehensive tactile approach to therapy. Issues such as problematic behavior, food refusal and tactile sensitivities will be discussed.
1. Participants will be able to identify at least three current therapies being used by speech pathologists who work with children on the autistic spectrum
2. Participants will learn the variations between the ABA vs. the Floortime Models of therapy.
3. Participants will be able to define two features of an Oral Placement Disorder.
4. Participants will be able to identify and use two types of reinforcements to utilize with a child on the autistic spectrum.
5. Participants will learn at least four new techniques to be used with their clients.
6. Participants will be able to write a speech therapy goal in a simple STO format.
8:30am–12:00pm (15 min. break at 10:45am)
A. Introduction: The Connection of Autism and Oral Placement Disorders
1. Autism facts
2. Autism Causes
3. Early Signs of Autism
4. Assessment of Autism
5. Current treatment and educational approaches
• Applied Behavioral Analysis
• Verbal Behavior
• Relationship Developmental Intervention
6. Biomedical Approaches
C. Oral Placement Disorders:
1. What is an Oral Placement Disorders (OPD)?
2. What is Oral Placement Therapy (OPT)?
3. Assessment of Oral Placement Disorders- Video Analysis
4. Oral Placement Disorders in Autism
1:00pm-4:00pm (15 min break at 2:15pm)
D. Current Treatment for Oral Placement Disorders
2. Kaufman and Kasper
3. PROMPT (Prompts for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets)
4. Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) and Augmentative Communication (AAC)
5. OPT and Talk Tools
E. Clinical Parameters
1. Problem Solving
• Sensory Disorders
• Processing Disorders
• Video Example
2. Combining Clinical Models with Tactile Therapies
• Sensory Integration
• Motor Therapies
• Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA)
• Verbal Behavior
• Feeding-Video Example
• Floortime- Video Example
• Relationship Developmental Intervention (RDI)
Your message has been sent!
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.