Saturday, October 19, 2013 from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM (CDT)
Join The Rice Table for the potluck edition of Proximity Magazine, investigating the intersections of art, food, politics and social practice. In this issue noses are followed and you can inhale the simmering pot of radical hospitality as a strategy for making art. The investigation into how the boundaries of art and food have been blurred, smoothed out and ingested is revealed through the practices of many local artists, activists and chefs. The fixed prix menu offers a survey of projects that are presented as profiles and discussions about the role of food in our lives. A veritable feast within the Chicago's art ecology, now let's sit down and eat!
We welcome you to our pop up eatery in the Co-Prosperity Sphere for a special Prix Fixe Dinner with Chef Chris Reed from The Rice Table.
When the Dutch expanded their empire to Indonesia, they were enchanted by the native cuisine they discovered. Excited by this new world of creative cooking, their appetites increased, and so did the number of dishes at the elaborating table. Thus began the birth of the Rijsttafel, which highlights a large number of the various delicacies.
The Rijsttafel was brought to The Netherlands, and now this fascinating culinary event in all it's glory, can be enjoyed by you -- right here in Chicago. The Rijsttafel consists of a treasure trove of Old World delicacies, brought to life and executed to perfection.
For this special occasion we have compiled a 12 dish dinner comprised of classical offerings from the West Java province of Indonesia. This evening is a ticketed event at $45.00 a seat and includes 2 complimentary drinks provided by Maria's Community Bar, additional drinks will be available for purchase. Here is our menu for the evening.
- Nasi Putih Steamed white rice
- Gado Gado Cabbage, green bean, potato, cucumber & bean sprout salad w/ peanut dressing
- Atjar Pickled salad of cucumber, carrot, cabbage, bean sprout & onion
- Serundeng Toasted shaved coconut w/ whole peanuts and spices
- Sambal Goreng Tempeh Fried tempeh in a sweet soy sauce w/ fried shallots and chiles
- Sambal Goreng Telor Hard-boiled egg in a spicy coconut sauce
- Rendang Daging Spicy coconut curry beef
- Babi Semur Braised pork shoulder in a sweet soy-clove broth
- Tahu Bumbu Bali Stir fried tofu in a sweet and sour Balinese chile sauce
- Sateh Ayam Grilled spiced chicken skewers w/ peanut sauce
- Sayur Lodeh Seasonal mixed vegetables in a coconut-lemongrass broth
- Ba Mie Goreng Stir fried noodles w/ onions, carrots, Snow peas & baby bok choy
Photography by Ben Syverson
Beverages curated by Maria's
Audio selections from: Dj Joe Bryl
Presented by The Rice Table & Maria's Packaged Goods & Community Bar