The Resounding Success of Baltimore Clippers
Captain Jamie Trost
At the onset of the War of 1812, U.S. armed forces were greatly outnumbered on land and at sea. Congress and President Madison issued Letters of Marque and Reprisal, licensing anyone who could muster a ship and crew to take to sea as a privateer. The call was heeded from Maine to Georgia, but none were more effective that the Baltimore Clippers. Learn why from a direct descendant of the bold privateers of 1812.
When & Where
Maine Maritime Museum
Maine Maritime Museum offers a myriad of opportunities to explore Maine’s maritime heritage and culture and to experience the mystique of Maine.
Visitors can find:
- -fascinating exhibits brimming with art and artifacts
- -contemporary, interactive areas for children and adults
- -an historic shipyard with five of the original 19th century buildings
- -a Victorian-era shipyard owners home
- -an active waterfront
- -a life-size sculptural representation of the largest wooden sailing vessel ever built
- -a scenic campus on the bank of the Kennebec River