LEAN IN Women’s Innovation Think Tank & Workshop
Saturday, October 26, 2013 from 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM (CDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Microsoft Hosts: LEAN IN Women’s Innovation Think Tank & Workshop
Date: Saturday October 26, 2013
Time: 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM
Location: Microsoft Houston Corporate Office (3rd Floor – Suite 350) One Briar Lake Plaza 2000 W. Sam Houston Pkwy. S. #350 Houston, TX 77042
Today, women occupy just 4% of CEO spots at Fortune 500 companies, and fewer than one in five corporate board seats is held by a woman. Although the pipeline continues to show improvements, we still have such a long way to go and need 21st century methods to address significant career gaps…especially across STEM-related fields
Join us for this one-day highly interactive event sponsored by Microsoft this Saturday October 26th, where we will bring together women leaders from various industries to share their insight and perspectives on traits that distinguish today’s top women in business, and the skills required to move from management…to executive…to the boardroom. We will also hear perspectives from executive men in leadership to better understand the male’s role in helping to expand women leadership roles and the cost opportunity if transformation is not accelerated, adopted, and implemented.
Our distinguished think tank panelists include:
- Muge Wood - Dynamics Industry Architect Director at Microsoft
- Daniel Bertrand Delivery Practice Director at Microsoft
- Dr. Melanie Johnson - Director of Education at Space Center Houston
- Walter Ulrich President & CEO at Houston Technology Center
- Maria Rios - CEO at Nation Waste, Inc.
- Gigi Myung President & CEO GLM Energy
- Danielle Forget Shield, PE 825 Basics, LLC.
This unique and engaging platform is designed to help you learn from a diverse group of leaders about growing personally, professionally, and successfully. Discussion topics include:
- Implementing a model for Innovation & Risk-Taking – A discussion on taking big risks and removing fears of risk-taking using effective forecasting and planning methods to unleash the full potential of innovation
- Balancing “People Pleasing” - Sheryl Sandberg (Facebook COO) confesses that during her first formal review at Facebook, chief executive Mark Zuckerberg told her that her “desire to be liked by everyone” would hold her back. This discussion will focus on motivating women to step up and be willing to lead with confidence and how to push back & challenge decisions thoughtfully.
- Visualize your career as a jungle gym, not a ladder – A discussion focused on identifying and forging more creative paths to executive roles or highly successful women-owned businesses
- Striking the right balance between “hard” and “soft” skills – A discussion focused on the importance of being proficient in 'soft' skills like empathy, communication and emotional intelligence, balanced with successful implementation of the 'hard' skills like analysis, risk management and operating efficiencies.
After the LEAN IN Innovation Think Tank session, we will break out into Circles of 8-10 small groups, and work through the LEAN IN Circle kick-off scenarios. Key goals of this event are 1) to empower one other 2) to work collaboratively in teams to think outside the box on 21st century solutions to challenges facing women in business, inspire & motivate women to push past barriers 3) to connect businesswomen, women leaders, executives, entrepreneurs, innovators, social entrepreneurs, managers, professionals, and government leaders in a highly interactive platform.
8:30 AM - 9:00 AM Breakfast/Registration & Sign In
9:00 AM– 9:30 AM Introductions
9:30 AM – 10:30 AM LEAN IN Innovation Think Tank
10:30 AM – 12:00 PM LEAN IN Circle Discussion Part I
12:00 PM – 12:30 PM Working Lunch Session
12:30 PM - 1:30 PM LEAN IN Circle Discussion Part II
1:30 PM – 2:00 PM Team Presentations/Event Close
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thanks and we look forward to seeing everyone.
When & Where
Trice Johnson & Carla Waring at Microsoft
The book Lean In is focused on encouraging women to pursue their ambitions, and changing the conversation from what we can’t do to what we can do. LeanIn.Org is the next chapter.
LEAN IN is committed to offering women the ongoing inspiration and support to help them achieve their goals. If we talk openly about the challenges women face and work together, we can change the trajectory of women and create a better world for everyone.