What makes a leader?
I believe some people are born with the qualities of a leader, just as some are born with natural talent for music or sports. I also believe that people can discover their latent leadership talents by consciously practicing them or when they are put in a role which requires leadership.
You may intend to be one of the world's great leaders in business, or you may be a person who sometimes needs to motivate a group of people to work together to achieve a common goal. If you fall into any of these categories, don't wait and take action as leaders usually do and join this class.
Great leaders possess listening, critical thinking, giving feedback, time management, planning and implementation, organization and delegation, facilitation, motivation, mentoring and team building skills.
Listening is an important leadership skill that enables you to acquire information, identify and clarify issues, make decisions, and resolve conflict. Listening skills also play a major role in team building. You can learn to be a better listener by following a few simple suggestions.
- Evaluate your ability to listen.
- Identify and apply effective listening skills.
A leader gathers information, then analyzes, interprets, and understands it before acting. Critical thinkers question what they read and hear. Then they determine the quality of a piece of information and use logical reasoning to reach conclusions. Critical thinkers make better decisions.
- Evaluate your ability to think critically.
- Identify and apply successful critical thinking practices.
Team members need to know what they are doing well, what they are not doing well, and how they can improve. Giving performance feedback is a necessary leadership function. When done properly, feedback can relieve stress, improve interpersonal relationships, and promote trust and respect for leaders and team members.
- Evaluate your ability to think feedback.
- Identify and apply successful practices for giving feedback.
Time management helps leaders make the most of the time available to them. You can budget your time and accomplish projects and tasks efficiently by identifying long and short term goals, making a daily to-do list, prioritizing the list, making a schedule and delegating when possible, leaving time for unexpected tasks, and managing interruptions.
- Evaluate your ability to manage time.
- Identify and apply successful time-management practices.
Planning and Implementation
A plan provides direction for the leader and the team. The planning process involves setting goals and objectives, and preparing plans and schedules to accomplish them. The process forces leaders to look beyond their everyday activities and think about what they want to happen in the future, involving team members in the process encourages commitment.
- Evaluate your ability to plan and implement.
- Identify and apply successful planning and implementation practices.
Organization and delegation
Leaders must ensure the team is organized enough to to accomplish its goals and objectives, and provide the structure in which the team operates. Delegation plays a major role. A good leader performs functions that only he has the knowledge and authority to perform, delegating all other tasks to team members.
- Evaluate your ability to organize and plan.
- Identify and apply successful organizational and delegation practices.
A facilitator’s primary job is to make the team’s job easier. More specifically, a facilitator guides discussions among team members and manages and resolves conflicts. Conflicts are not unusual any time two or more people are required to work together and good facilitation skills can help the group reach a resolution.
- Evaluate your ability to facilitate.
- Identify and apply facilitation skills.
A motivated team overcomes obstacles of all types to achieve its goals. A leader creates and maintains an environment where team members are likely to become motivated. Leaders uncover what motivates team members; then they develop reward system match what the team members value. They also look for ways to reward the team members for doing the right thing.
- Evaluate your ability to motivate.
- Identify and apply leadership practices that effectively motivate people.
A mentor recognizes an individual who has less experience, cultivates his potential and talent, and helps him succeed. Leaders are mentors. You can be a mentor by offering opportunities for skill development - pointing out areas needing improvement, providing helpful advice, being a role model, and encouraging the individual to think for himself.
- Evaluate your ability to mentor.
- Identify and apply effective mentoring skills.
Teams offer great benefits. Team members have a variety of knowledge and skills, which result in more creativity and greater productivity. When a good team is in place, a leader has more time to devote to leadership issues. Team members must be carefully chosen, trained and encouraged to openly discuss issues.
- Evaluate your ability to build teams.
- Identify and apply successful team building practices.
Kalyan Kalwa Bio
Kalyan teaches leadership classes at Toastmasters. Kalyan worked as a physician, pharmacist and in Information technology in the past. Currently, Kalyan is working on providing exceptional Healthcare, Information Technology and Human Resource solutions to the clients he serves as a CEO of Cultivated Solutions.
To learn more about Kalyan, visit www.kalyankalwa.com
When & Where
Dr. Kalyan Kalwa
The objective of www.myusdoctor.com service is to provide the expertise and consultation services of US based doctors and specialists to the Chinese patients via our proprietary Telemedicine platform (video conferencing platform), and in the process help train the Chinese doctors.
Specifically, we plan to:
● Bring together skilled doctors in US and Chinese doctors to work in a compliant and cost-effective manner to provide state of the art healthcare services to the Chinese patients (leveraging the saving of our modern Tele health tools).
● Aid and empower health consumers and providers by offering an efficient system that improves patient engagement and satisfaction.
● Increase quality of health care and response time.
Other products in our portfolio
1) www.ecurecare.com - HIE & Physician portal (Meaningful use 2 certified) - www.ecurecare.com - Deployed at a couple of Physician groups in MA, NJ and currently in talks with BCBS of California.
2) www.patientnest.com - Patient Portal (Meaningful use 2 certified) - www.patientnest.com - Deployed at a couple of Physician groups in MA, NJ and currently in talks with BCBS of California.