Thursday, May 16, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM (PDT)
Please note, this event has been cancelled and will be rescheduled at a later date.
We will be hosting a Mixer on May 16 instead. Look for an email with the link to register.
For questions, call 310 736 1541
LaunchFEST LA is designed for Startups and Small Business Owners, we address issues on how to grow your business to increase sales and profit.
Meet investors and pitch your idea!
Space is limited to only 100 to maximize conversations with speakers and investors.
Our expert speakers give you practical,l hands on advice with real world strategies with key takeaways.
We have two types of tickets;
$75 DELUXE TICKET FOR ONE OR $100 FOR TWO TICKETS INCLUDES:
- Attend all sessions
- Box lunch, Drinks, Snacks
- Networking mixer with speakers with food and drinks
- FREE demo spot on table during networking dinner break from 6:15pm-8:30 to meet investors, partners, or customers for your product, idea, or service
- ONLY $100 for TWO: IF YOU BUY TWO TICKETS, SAVE $50 and includes 3 minutes demo to audience!
$45 Half Day BASIC TICKET INCLUDES:
- Attend all sessions after 1pm to 8:30pm
- Drinks, Snacks, networking reception
- Networking mixer with speakers
- EXCLUDES: Box lunch, Demo spot during networking, demo to audience
We cover these topics:
- USING SOCIAL MEDIA TO EXTEND YOUR BRAND AND INCREASE SALES
- MOBILE APPS AND STRATEGIES
- EXTENDING AND BUILDING YOUR BRAND
- ATTRACTING VENTURE CAPITAL AND PRESENTING YOUR PITCH
- Understand what you need to know when developing mobile apps, networks, Web services, platforms, devices and commerce to avoid costly mistakes.
- Discover strategies for success for attracting funding for startups, pitching investors and how to meet them. Selected startups can pitch panel of investors and hear comments.
- Learn how to use apps to generate revenue, engage customers, and build loyalty
- Attract venture capital and learn how to effectively pitch investors
- Uncover stratgies to build your brand and attract customers
8:30-9:00 | Continental Breakfast and Networking
9:00-10:00 | Using Social Media and Mobile to Build Your Brand, Attract Customers, and Increase Sales
PRESENTER: Philippa Burgess, Creative Convergence/Y &R Midwest Spark Plug Incubator
Understand how to use social media to influence buying decisions and brand development. Customers increasingly turn to the web for product and company information. They expect companies to be transparent, open and honest—and when given a choice spend their dollars with those that are. Learn about concrete techniques for applying social media strategies and tools to engage with customers, build relationships and monitor the market place. You will get hands on, practical tips.
- What are current trends in using social media and mobile for brands?
- How to master the strongest social media tools which enable you to have real conversations with your consumers to create brand advocates, and ultimately increase profits.
- Case studies using social media platforms: Facebook, LinkedIN, Twitter, Vine, Blogging, YouTube, Flicker/Picasa, Yelp.
10:10-11:10 Concept Before Execution
PRESENTER: Winston Perez, Founder of Concept Modeling
His clients include top companies like Warner Bros., NBC/Universal and Interscope Records. He has also worked with companies like AEG, Paramount, Cinefix, LACBA, and hundreds of others. Everything, every business, every technology or even every film starts with an idea. Every great idea is built on concept. Concept Modeling may just be the future of all businesses. That’s because one key to success is found in the perfection of an idea. C before E: Concept Before Execution.
- What is concept modeling and how will it apply to startups and new business ideas?
- Why companies and startups fail for lack of a ”perfected idea.”
- What is the inherent problem of the mantra “it's all in the execution?”
- How you can use Concept Modeling to increase your success and increase your profits.
11:20-12:20 | Mobile Strategies and MCommerce for Business Owners and Brands
PRESENTER: Dave Shor, Founder, Placements Media
Learn how to develop a mobile strategy to increase customer loyalty, maximize sales, create new leads, and branding. How much should you spend on a mobile app? Should you pay thousands of dollars for custom development or outsource? What are key ways to attract customers? How should you integrate your mobile plan with your cross platform marketing campaign? How can you use mobile apps to increase sales?
12:20-1:00 | Lunch Break and Networking
Includes box lunch for all deluxe ticket holders.
TRACK TWO: EXTENDING YOUR BRAND
1:00-2:30: | Extending and Building an Authentic Brand
PRESENTER: Howard Lim, Founder, HOW Creative
FOR ONLY $35, PURCHASE HOWARD'S BOOK ON AUTHENTIC BRANDING AND GET 30 MINUTES FREE CONSULTING TIME VALUED AT $250.
View details on book here.
Get ready for refreshing, relevant and content-rich seminar from building a brand in the proper sequence to increasing customers and profits. Howard will punch through the jargon and misconceptions and deliver branding truths that have been proven in the marketplace, over and over again.Case studies: Apple, Fox, Disney, DreamWorks, Philips, Xerox, HP, Oracle, Nike Vans.
Howard presents case studies and use his Fortune 500 experiences and show you how to apply it towards your business, product or services shaving years of costly mistakes.
(Optional, Howard recommends you also purchase his book which is the text book for the course and will provide more details on case studies on Authentic Branding.)
NETWORKING BREAK 2:30-2:45
2:45-3:45 Raising Money from Crowdfunding for Projects, Web, Film, TV, Tech, Nonprofit and Products
Dave Harvilicz, founder, WhenYouWish.com
Andy Martinez, CTO, WhenYouWish.com
Ventures covered include entertainment, commerce, retail, hard goods, digital media, non profit, social media, web enabled and web services, mobile apps, software, hardware.
- Learn how to use crowdfunding websites to raise funds for startups, new tech ventures, business ideas, inventions, nonprofits, and entertainment projects.
- Understand differences between equity funding, donations, and crowdsourcing
- Hear insider tips on how to reach your goals, use your existing network for marketing, and how angels can use crowdfunding to enhance their investments.
3:45-4:45 Preparing a Compelling Pitch to Investors
Marcus Filipovich, Emeritus Director Pasadena Angels, Founder Ikona Medical Corp
Marcus has raised millions in venture capital, and also is an investor. He will teach you how to give compelling responses to these questions most often asked by investors including:
- What do you do?
- What’s the problem you solve?
- Why do you solve it better than competitors?
- What’s your vision?
- Why are you the best people to make this work?
- What are your financial forecasts?
- How much money do you need?
- What are you going to do with funding?
- Who is on your management team?
- Who is on your board of advisors?
- What is your exit strategy?
- What is your business model and is it viable? Can you have more than one?
- Do investors prefer to see revenue growth; or customer acquisition from free services?
- How do you attract a solid developer team?
5:00-6:15 Attracting Funding from Investors
We discuss the top new trends in startups for these markets: tech, digital media, media and entertainment, commerce, mobile, web, social media, devices.
- What are the newest trends?
- How do you prepare for your exit strategy?
- What are best strategies to attract funding or partners?
- How much revenue do you need before you can exit?
- How should you build business strategies to become successful?
- How to attract board of advisors and business partners?
Selected startups may give 3-6 minutes pitch and hear feedback. Apply in advance using email below. There is no extra fee to pitch if you attend event.
- Marcus Filipovich, Emeritus Director Pasadena Angels, Founder Ikona Medical Corp
- Matt Thompson, Angel Investor Tech Coast Angels
6:15-8:30: | Networking Dinner and View Demo Tables
FOOD AND DRINKS
(All deluxe ticket holders GET a shared demo spot on table. This is a great way to meet investors or partners. We provide Wifi and outlets.)
SPEAKERS OR PR FIRMS, APPLY TO SPEAK
We select speakers based on expertise, company affiliation, experience, and knowledge of topics. Demos and Pitch Presentations should be promising innovative startups seeking to pitch for funds or partners.
We consider companies at all stages – from Fortune 500 companies, mid-tier, startups with innovative technologies, and newly launched. There is no fee required to speak. Panel and keynote speakers are expected to use their platform to discuss the topic at hand, not make a sales pitch for their company, products or services.
We offer these types of speaking opportunities:
- Keynotes recognized as leaders in their fields for senior executives
- Fireside chats featuring in depth interview with prominent journalist
- Panel discussions and roundtables led by moderator
- Presentations and demos
- Facilitate small group discussions after session
- Case studies presented by vendors and end users
To apply, send bio with speaker name, contact info, and areas of expertise to Speakers@angelLaunch.com with "MobileSpeaker" in subject line.
HOW TO PRIORITY SPEAKING CONSIDERATION:
Our speaker committee will decide which sessions to place you on at our discretion. However, we will give priority to some submissions to select their session. If you are a professional service provider or vendor (such as law firm or consultant) or tech solution provider (like web services or software application), we encourage you to invite an end user client to speak with you.
For instance, if you are a law firm and have an attorney who wants to speak, you would invite your client to speak on the same panel. You can offer either on a panel or a case study showing the client’s strategy and how you implemented your product or service.
Here is how this works: You have a client such as entertainment property or consumer brand. You advise us of the client; we approve them. You then invite them to speak either on a panel or case study. If they agree to speak; you can speak as well. There is no fee and you both receive a comp ticket.
We consider these types of speakers:
• Academic and university professors
• Book Authors
• Business and corporate executives
• Service Providers-law, accounting,.recruiting
• Media and trade organizations
• Press, analysts and bloggers as moderators
STARTUPS OR CONTENT VENTURES, APPLY TO GIVE A DEMO OR PITCH FOR FUNDS TO INVESTORS:
If you are looking for investors, then apply now to give a 3-6 minutes pitch to panel of investors and hear their feedback. There is no fee to apply or pitch but you must buy a ticket. Past demos have received millions in funds from our events. Send us an email with "Pitchfest" in subject line with form below in red. Make sure to include name, industry, website, your contact info, stage of funding, and amount of funding you are seeking to demo@AngelLaunch.com.
INVESTORS, APPLY TO SPEAK AND JUDGE STARTUPS DURING VENTURE PITCH
We invite investors to judge the venture pitch such as VCs, angels, strategic investors and investment banks to speak and judge panel from 5:30 to 7pm. Send email with bio to Investor@AngelLaunch.com.
PLEASE INDICATE WHICH SESSION (1-4) YOU WANT
DEMO TABLES AND SPONSORS
Host a demo table during networking to meet investors; and give short demo or pitch to audience. . If you have a product, application, tool, service, software, or hardware related to mobile apps, social media or e-commerce, then give a demo to the entire audience. Includes Wifi and electrical outlet, and two tickets
STARTUPS APPLY TO PITCH CUT AND PASTE FOR APPLICATION IN EMAIL TO APPLY TO PITCH . USE AS SUBJECT LINE "MOBILE"
Send to Pitch@angellaunch.com
- Indicate which TYPE of venture or project you seek to pitch. You must choose one category since we have separate panels:
(1) Creative Content-film, tv, games, music, books, video, new media
(2) Mobile and digital health, wellness and fitness
(3) Tech and Interent-web, mobile apps, digital media, device, hardware, software
(4) Social impact and entrepreneurship-Venture with social good element
- Are you seeeking funding or distribution partners. Indicate types of partners you want.
- Company name and website.
- Company address
- Contact person name, title, phone and email and second person in charge.
- Funding Stage: Founders, Number of Employee, and Management Team Bios A full time passionate and committed management team that has invested their own capital in addition to their career opportunity cost. While it is not expected that the company have a complete management team, the current team should have minimum of two individuals. Additionally, the assembled team should identify which members they are missing and be prepared to discuss identified candidates
- Company Formation Date
- Proposed Presenter
- Complete Description of Product or Service and Business Model
- Identification of business model and description of how the company makes money.
- Market Potential and Benefits to Industry: A large addressable market and clearly stated pain/problem for this market. Give evidence of customer demand through active sales prospecting and funnel management, purchase orders, letters of intent, letters of commitment, or actual shipped/invoiced sales supported by market research.
- Benefits to Industry: Where Product Fits In with Existing Market
- Partners or Customers: A contract, agreement, relationship, joint venture, partnership or capacity to manufacturer or distribute the product or service.
- Key Investors, Amounts Funded, Current Funding Status and Amount Sought, Summary of status of Proforma financial statements
- Potential Competitors: Competitor Analysis and documentation of competitive differentiators. Please do not say you don’t have any; every company has some form of competition.
- Exit Strategy: A defined exit strategy/return for the Angel Fund including but not limited to share repurchase, rents, dividend, principal and interest payments, merger/acquisition or IPO.
HOST A DEMO EXHIBITOR TABLE OR SPONSOR
Who should demo: Tech solution providers for products, services or applications such as: consumer electronics, software, computers, hardware, eCommerce, payment and billing solutions, web services, apps, digital media, devices, digital asset management, 3D, mobile, cameras, video, equipment, hardware, software, services, applications, editing, web services, broadband applications, devices, games, research firms, and professional service providers. You don't need to be an exhibitor on the show floor to demo at our event, and you can meet hundreds of prospective sales leads in a focused setting.
Why exhibit at our demo tables:
- Meet buyers face-to-face, including senior executives who typically are not accessible on the show floor.
- Introduce new products and set up meetings in advance from our exclusive advance attendee list
- Obtain press coverage and media exposure.
- Select from a range of options from $495 to $2495 with different levels of benefits which include an ADVANCE opt in attendee list with contact data which you can use to set up client meetings while at CES on the show floor or during our event.
- Comp tickets for staff or clients
When & Where
Philippa Burgess, Creative Convergence, part of Y & R Midwest
Creative Convergence is at the intersection of entertainment, technology and advertising providing clients that have content monetization and consumer engagement solutions with strategy, marketing, sales and project management services. With offices in both Los Angeles and Chicago, Creative Convergence is part of Y&R Advertising's (a WPP company) Spark Plug Program with access to hundreds of brands worldwide and strong ties to the entertainment industry.
Philippa Burgess and Brad Kushner co-founded the company in 2004 beginning as a literary management company, managing writers, directors and producers and evolving into a consulting firm working for technology companies, start-ups, advertising agencies, brands, businesses and content creators. Clients include Emmy nominated Social Samba and 2012 Interactive Emmy winner Rides.tv. Both partners are members of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
MARCUS FILIPOVICH, Director Emeritus, Pasadena Angels, and Founding CEO, Ikona
Marcus O. Filipovich.ia Director Emeritus, Pasadena Angels, a 100 member group of accredited investors, and Founding CEO, Ikona, a developer of mission-critical Consumer & Medical Mobile Apps. He is a serial entrepreneur and angel investor with a focus on Digital Entertainment. He is an expert in Market Development, creating new markets and channels for revolutionary products; and, Global Business Development, building business relationships across cultural and political boundaries. Marcus holds an MBA from the Carlson School (MN) and an MSEE from MIT.
Dave Harvilicz, Founder, When You Wish
Dave Harvilicz was an insider on Wall Street and Silicon Valley before co-founding When You Wish, a crowdsourcing ecosystem dedicated to furthering the democratic financial and information revolution. His experience as a corporate lawyer, international consultant and startup entrepreneur has given him unique perspective on law, business and markets.
Dave was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and speaks Russian, German and Portuguese. He graduated with honors from William & Mary and NYU Law School and has been licensed as a Series 65 registered investment advisor. Since its inception in March 2011, When You Wish, or “WUW” as its called in-house, has developed into a crowdsourcing ecosystem with various business groups. At its heart are the pure-play b2c crowdfunding platforms: www.whenyouwish.com (for English-speakers) and www.whenyouwish.com.br (for Portuguese-speakers).
WUW’s crowdfunding mission is to radically revolutionize the way human aspiration and creativity is funded. Whether those aspirations are creative, economic, or humanitarian, we champion bringing the power of capital to all people. WUW’s other business units include FirstLook venture fund, CrowdGames gaming group, PageGrove digital agency, and a crowdsource business consulting arm.
Howard Lim, Founder How Creative
Your business or event audience will profit from branding expert Howard A. Lim’s tested, proven, real-life branding techniques. Howard A. Lim, founder of the Authentic Branding Core Training™ and HOW Creative®, has been a branding expert and a leading authority in the industry since 1987, working and teaching over 30,000 businesses on how to design an Authentic Brand. These companies include Fortune 100 companies such as Disney, Xerox, Apple, Philips, DreamWorks, ABC Networks, Mattel, Fox, Honda and Fujitsu. By co-creating with companies of this caliber, he has helped develop and refine world-renown brands that are valued assets for businesses and products with related sales yields in the billions of dollars. His innovative formulas integrate traditional media with new media, and have helped client companies actually leverage themselves ahead of their competitors—far ahead—based on the use of what he calls an Authentic Brand.
After branding hundreds of companies, products and services, and influencing billions of dollars in revenue, brand-value and equity, Howard decided to give equal access to companies of every size, and has taught over 30,000 entrepreneurs and corporate leaders on the most powerful business language today: branding.
He will present actual before-and-after case studies that have influenced billions of dollars in revenue, value and brand equity for his clients which have included: Apple, Honda, Disney, DreamWorks, Acura, Xerox, Lakeshore Entertainment, Mattel, Jakks Pacific, Paramount Pictures, and HP, just to name a few.
David Shor, CEO / Co-Founder, Placements Media
David Shor co-founded Placements in March 2010 bringing with him more than 19 years of leadership, technology and marketing experience. David’s passion is to truly revolutionize the digital agency approach to one that is evolutionary in approach, relationships and results. Prior to that, David was Principal at Quillion, a WongDoody Company where he was in charge of performance marketing, strategy and media operations. David acts in a Chief Media Strategist capacity for many startup and established companies and continues to build those relationships throughout the Los Angeles area. At Placements, Shor is responsible for building client relationships, overseeing operations and keeping his high-performing team, high-performing. David earned his BA from the University of California Los Angeles and enjoys golf and technology and loves spending quality time with his family and friends.
Mr. Thompson joined Skyview in 2012 and brings over 16 years of experience in private equity, finance, consulting, and operations. Mr. Thompson is involved with performing due diligence on new investments and performing portfolio company oversight. He has experience with companies ranging from startups to fortune 50 enterprises, with a specialization in the telecom, media, and high technology sectors.
Prior to Skyview, he was VP of Finance at the Gores Group a $4B private equity firm based in Los Angeles. At the Gores Group, Mr. Thompson was involved with closing four levered buyout transactions in the high-tech, consumer, and industrial sectors. Mr. Thompson also assisted with portfolio company oversight, deal sourcing, and staff training. While at Gores, Mr. Thompson also served on the Board of J Mendel Inc and headed the Audit Committee.
Prior to Gores, Matt Thompson was a Director in the Communications Media and Entertainment group of FTI’s Corporate Finance practice in Los Angeles, where he worked on due diligence and financial restructuring for high-technology, telecom, and media companies. Mr. Thompson’s restructuring experience involves creditor and debtor engagements for Global Crossing, Excite@Home, Teligent, Incomnet, and UHP Healthcare. Mr. Thompson has also advised numerous technology startups (networking hardware, software, mobile content) with the development of business plans, financial models, and capital raising. Mr. Thompson has also advised financial institutions with financial and operational due diligence of target companies.
Mr. Thompson has an MBA from Stanford Business School and a BA in Biology and Economics from Pomona college.