‘Continuing Education and Networking Event’
August 5, 2014
5 HSW Credit Hours towards your state requirements
1 GBCI General Credit Hour for LEED Professionals
8:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning pastries, fruit and coffee served
8:30 - 9:30 AM
Use of Snow Retention Devices: Science or Fiction?
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ISF07A
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Harry Lubitz
Discover the art and science of snow control and its effects, such as snow migration on rooftops of structures. Learn about the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention, as well as the do's and don’ts of retention devices, product selection, and site specifics.
1. Describe the history of snow control on rooftops.
2. Explain when and where you should or shouldn't use snow retention devices.
3. List the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention.
4. List the common pitfalls of product selection and site specifics.
5. Describe how to value engineer snow retention systems without sacrificing
6. Explain the proper selection and specification of snow guards.
9:40 - 10:40 AM
EPDM Defining the Standard for 50 years
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: SDR 113
Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Kevin Pollock
Participants will learn the features and benefits of EPDM roofing solutions that have been proven to perform as well as advancements in technology that contribute to higher quality installations and long term service life.
1. Review Various Studies that demonstrate the sustainability and long term performance of EPDM roof
2. Understand the innovative EPDM technologies which enhance the design and overall system
3. Learn about the various tools used to quantify the energy savings of EPDM roof systems.
4. Learn about 'energy saving' benefits of a properly designed EPDM roof system.
10:50 - 11:50 AM
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact Surfacing – ‘Dekton by Cosentino’
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: Ron Blank & Associates, Inc.
Presenter: Jeffrey Cannata
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight
into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing
unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and
2. Define ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates
intrinsically unique properties.
3. Discuss designing with ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical
resistance, absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with ultracompact surfacing material.
12:00 PM Lunch Provided
12:30 - 1:30 PM
Next Generation Green Restroom Design
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: IEX00A
USGBC Course ID: 910000371
AIA Provider: Excel Dryer
Presenter: Joseph Hickson
This course provides an overview of the newest technologies in high-efficiency plumbing products
and high-speed, Energy-efficient hand dryers. It offers compelling evidence of the economical,
environmental and practical benefits of sustainable restroom design based on established research
and statistical data. Topics covered include water conversation and energy efficiency strategies,
criteria for selecting best-practice green building restroom, products, and applicability to green
building programs, certifications and standards.
• Recognize the imperative to conserve water, energy and other natural resources in buildings and
describe the environment, health and economic benefits of reduced water and energy use from
high-efficiency restroom products.
• Define and select high-efficiency plumbing fixtures and hand dryers and understand the economic
and Environments benefits of measuring the carbon footprint of products and processes through
• Apply restroom design and product selection strategies to earn LEED points and other certifications.
• List financial and maintenance benefits of the high-speed, energy-efficient dryers.
1:40 - 2:40 PM
Drafting an Understanding of Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: AFP1
AIA Provider: CureCrete - AIA Provider #: J550
Presenter: Deke Rife
Understanding Polished Densified Concrete utilizing the RetroPlate System of polished concrete.
1. Densified Polished Concrete
2. Identify the challenges, disadvantages of using floor coatings and membranes as opposed to
chemical densifiers. Identify the advantages of using chemical densifiers over floor coatings
3. Learn how the process of concrete densification eliminates the need for additional applications,
and can enhance the overall performance of concrete for the life of the floors, when using the
right chemical densifier product.
4. Identify the added benefits that polishing can add to densified concrete and the low life cycle cost
factor when compared to other types of flooring materials and coverings such as tile, terrazzo, etc.
'This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes'
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.