The 2014 Francophonie Cultural Festival presents:
La Grande Fête de la Francophonie
FRIDAY, MARCH 21 AT 7PM
On Friday, March 21 at 7 p.m., the Grande Fête de la Francophonie returns to the Embassy of France!
Perhaps the most eagerly-anticipated event during le mois de la francophonie, the Grande Fête is an invitation to travel the continents of the world in one night!
Each year, more than 35 embassies unite to present their culture and cuisine, accompanied by music from the French-speaking world. This year's featured artists include Benin's Jomion and the Uklos, and France's post-punk, cold wave, electro, surf rockers La Femme!
Jomion and the Uklos on YouTube - Click HERE to listen.
La Femme music videos
1) Nous Etions Deux: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3OyKRQlj9s
2) Hypsoline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNv2PVEtmgI
3) Sur la planche: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MAQxOBiD6A
PLEASE NOTE: This is a standing event, and seating will not be available. Space is extremely limited for the Grande Fête. If you are planning on attending, we suggest that you purchase your tickets soon - as this event sells out well in advance every year.
WHAT: La Grande Fête de la Francophonie (details / answers to frequently asked questions below)
WHEN: Friday, March 21 from 7 p.m. – 12 a.m.
WHERE: La Maison Française - Embassy of France, 4101 Reservoir Rd, NW
- General (pre-sale): $40 -- SOLD OUT
- Benefactor: $60 (One raffle ticket included) -- SOLD OUT
Online ticket purchases only. No tickets will be sold at the door.
The 2014 Francophonie Cultural Festival is co-organized by the Washington Francophonie Committee, more than 35 embassies and The Alliance Française de Washington, AFI Silver, Arthispere, Blues Alley, Hillyer Art Space, Montgomery College. The Smithsonian Associates and the French-American Cultural Foundation. This year's festival is generously sponsored by TV5 Monde, France, Medias, Monde and the Organization Internationale de la Francophonie.
Among participating embassies
Belgium, Benin, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Canada-Quebec, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, France, Gabon, Georgia, Guinea, Haiti, Laos, Lebanon, Mali, Monaco, Mozambique, Niger, Romania, Senegal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Togo, and Tunisia.
and answers to Frequently Asked Questions...
ADDRESS / PARKING / PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION / CAR SERVICE
1) The Embassy of France is located at 4101 Reservoir Rd., NW, Washington, DC 20007.
2) If driving, street parking will be available on Reservoir Road and throughout the surrounding neighborhoods. There is also a pay lot located across the street at Georgetown University Hospital.
3) If using public transportation, the D6 Metro Bus drops off directly in front of the Embassy of France.
4) New members to Uber car service save $20 with promo code ‘p8cwf’. Forget the hassles that come with driving or public transportation, click HERE to create an account with Uber, a convenient on-demand car service accessible with your iPhone or Android device.
Promo code link: https://www.uber.com/invite/p8cwf
SECURITY / CHECK-IN
Please print your tickets and have your ID out and ready when you arrive. It will make check-in a lot easier and faster. All tickets will be scanned, following an ID/security check. For those of you that would like to conserve paper, our scanners will be able to read the QR code on your iPhone or Android device.
WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED
- Large bags and backpacks;
- Outside beverages and food;
- Underage drinking. You must be 21+ to drink alcohol.
The Grande Fête is one of the largest cultural activities organized at the Embassy of France. Consequently, please note that the event is presented as a stand-up cultural festival, designed for you to explore and enjoy all the various participating embassies’ offerings. Since the Grande Fête is well-attended each year, we kindly ask for your patience and understanding when waiting in line to check-in or enjoy food and drinks.
We will not discriminate. We want everyone to have fun, be comfortable, and enjoy the night! There is no specific dress attire. Most guests will be coming directly from work, sporting their Friday business casual attire. Others will be dressed up for a night out on the town, and some will be wearing the traditional clothes of some of the participating countries.
CONCESSIONS / ATM
The open bars will close between 9:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., at which time a cash bar will be available. There will be a table set up near the cash bar to purchase drink tickets. Although the Embassy of France has a public ATM, we suggest bringing cash.
This year’s raffle prizes are two pairs of economy class round-trip tickets to Brussels, courtesy of Brussels Airlines (http://www.brusselsairlines.com/). Winners will only have to pay taxes (estimated at $95.87/ticket). Raffle tickets will be sold during the evening (1 ticket for $10 / 3 tickets for $20).
TICKETING / REFUND POLICY
- Online ticketing only. Tickets will not be available at the door.
- There are no student discounts or special admission tickets for children.
- All ticket sales are final. Refunds will not be available.
- This event is SOLD OUT. Tickets are no longer available.
From 7pm to 10pm: Visit each and every table to sample the countries' foods and beverages, and admire their arts and crafts.
At 8pm: Enjoy a live concert from Benin - Jomion and the Uklos take the stage! Concert in partnership with the Alliance des Béninois de New York. Listen on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teKCNz83wa0
At 10pm: The open bars close and a cash bar opens.
From 10:30pm – 12am: Take to the dance floor to check out France's La Femme in concert!
Participating embassies: Belgium, Benin, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Canada-Quebec, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, France, Gabon, Georgia, Guinea, Haiti, Laos, Lebanon, Mali, Monaco, Mozambique, Niger, Romania, Senegal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Togo, and Tunisia.
Francophonie Cultural Festival official website: http://www.francophoniedc.org/