LA Food Swap on Saturday, September 3
Saturday, September 3, 2011 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM (PDT)
Los Angeles, CA
Join us for a food swap + potluck at Silver Lake Farms!
Share your edible creations and meet your neighbors among the flowers and vegetables at this beautiful urban farm
A food swap is part silent auction/part village marketplace/part fun-loving open house where your homemade, homegrown, and foraged creations become your own personal currency for use in swapping with other participants. Diversify your pantry while meeting your friends and neighbors!
We welcome everyone, as long as you bring something you made, grew, or foraged yourself. You must pre-register to attend. If you plan to bring a family member or friend who will be swapping their own foods, please register them separately. If they're just coming to hang out and observe, they don't need to register.
Saturday, September 3, 2011, 10 am - 12 pm (+ potluck after)
Please arrive promptly at 10 am to set up.
Silver Lake Farms, Los Angeles, CA 90039
Exact location and parking instructions will be sent to registered attendees.
What to bring
• Food to swap: All swap items must be homemade, homegrown, or foraged by you. Think pickles, preserves, baked goods, honey, granola, pasta, fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices… you name it! Bring as little or as much as you like. You can bring a bunch of one thing or multiples of a few different things. The possibilities are endless!
Keep in mind that swappers will be examining and picking up your goods, so be sure to package them in a way that protects the food and makes it clear the amounts you want to swap. When applicable, it is recommended that you include storage and shelf life information.
If possible, you should also bring samples for others to try.
• Swap card: Bring one swap card for each different item you're swapping. For example, if you're bringing 5 jars of strawberry jam, 5 jars of apricot jam, and 10 bunches of rosemary, fill out 1 card for the strawberry jam, 1 card for the apricot jam, and 1 card for the rosemary.
You can download the swap card here. Please fill out the top part only (Who, What, Notes).
• Potluck dish: If you'd like to stay for the potluck – and we hope you will! – please bring one dish to share plus your own plate, cup, and utensils. We'll provide a delicious agua fresca!
Find out more about the LA Food Swap and how it works at lafoodswap.com
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Emily and Katie at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Honor Code
This is a community event; however, participants must pre-register. It goes without saying that participants are using the highest cleanliness standards in their own kitchens and gardens to prepare their submissions. Nevertheless...
• By participating in this event, you are acknowledging that the food items being traded are not necessarily prepared in any "approved" kitchen or space inspected by any government agency.
• By participating in this event, you are also acknowledging that you will use the highest standards of cleanliness in food preparation.
When & Where
LA Food Swap
LA Food Swap celebrates good food + good community. We believe in the importance of the handmade and meeting our neighbors. Our events bring Los Angeles cooks, bakers, gardeners, and foragers together to swap their edible creations, share stories, and develop new friendships.