Beanery? Yes, it's a real word - and a real place. The Beanery is where Hodo artisans produce our soymilk, tofu, and yuba - as well as all of our ready-to-eat dishes. Like a bakery and its bread or a charcuterie and its meats, The Beanery is dedicated to Hodo's expertise – soybeans.
Hodo opened the new Beanery in West Oakland in 2009. Our building was originally built in the 1920s as a candy factory and then became a bakery. Good mojo for Hodo, we believe. Between 2008 and 2009, we renovated the space to suit the particular needs of tofu making. To design and fabricate our equipment, we worked with one of the oldest remaining tofu equipment producers in Asia. We are particularly proud of the visitors’ room, where we welcome the public to view our production and sample many of Hodo's creations, fresh from Beanery. Tours are offered twice a month during production hours.
Here is some important information about our tour - PLEASE READ:
- Tours start promptly at 10:30. Please be sure to arrive on time, leaving time to find street parking.
- We welcome you to take photos during the tour.
- At the end of the tour, you are welcome to purchase our delicious products to take home. CASH only.
- We have no public bathroom facility.
For more information, please visit our website: www.hodosoy.com
When & Where
Hodo Soy Beanery
- Hodo Soy Beanery is an artisanal, organic soy company based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- At Hodo Soy, our mission is to craft the highest quality tofu and create innovative and delicious tofu-based artisan foods that will forever change the way you know tofu. Our hand-crafted tofu is made from organic, non-GMO, US-grown, whole soybeans. Taste the Difference!