- Finish selection for conventional and earthen buildings
- Soil and Material Selection, Sourcing and Testing
- Vapor Permeability, Water Resistance and Stabilization
- Tools and Application Techniques
- Application around Doors, Windows and Other Openings
- Pigments, and Finishing
- Conventional and Traditional Plaster Reinforcing Techniques
- Code considerations
This is a hands-on class. Attendees will have the opportunity to get dirty and use tools and equipment typical of adobe construction. Due to the course format, enrollment will be limited to 14 individuals. Children under the age of 14 unfortunately cannot be accommodated. In the unlikely event of inclement weather, instruction will occur indoors.
Kurt Gardella teaches adobe construction at Northern New Mexico College, is Director of Education for Adobe in Action, and is certified as an earth-building specialist by the German Dachverband Lehm.
Ben Loescher is a licensed architect, founder of adobeisnotsoftware and principal of golem|la.
The class will be conducted about 12 miles outside of Joshua Tree National Park in Landers, California, some 40 miles from Palm Springs. Joshua Tree and the surrounding area have a wealth of great hiking, climbing, lodging and food options. Directions to the workshop site will be provided to attendees prior to the class.
The cost for the three day workshop is $190/person. Coffee and nibbles will be provided at the beginning of the day; lunch is included.
Please do not hesitate to contact Ben at email@example.com or (760) 278-1134.