Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 12:00 PM - Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM (EST)
Philadelphia has an undeniable link to music. The music and musicians from Philadelphia are respected around the world. Philadelphia music has been the voice of a people. It has been used to affect social change. It has been a form of self-expression. Unfortunately for many Philadelphia youth the gift of music is being stripped away.
On February 1, 2014 from 12 noon to 12 midnight recording studios across the city of Philadelphia will return that gift by opening their doors to youth for the JME Record-A-Thon. Students will be invited to record songs around the theme “Breaking the Code: Igniting Genius”.
This event will support young music makers by providing free studio time, help with songwriting, production advice, instrumental tracks and mentoring. Selected songs will be used for a soundtrack to the “Breaking the Code” Pre-summit to the Google in Education Summit being held Feb 28 – Mar 2 in Philadelphia.
How it works:
- Students begin writing songs around the theme "Breaking The Code: Igniting Genius". All genres of music are welcome and encouraged.
- Practice, practice, practice. Make sure you know your lyrics and you are ready to record.
- Individuals can register to record for an hour session or organizations (with a maximum of 5 students in the studio at a time) can register for up to two hours. Note: Registration fees are non-refundable.
- Pre-recorded tracks by Music Producer Dilemma will be sent to registered students.
- The studio and engineer will be provided for each session.
- We will do our best to accomodate the session time requested during registration, but a studio manager will confirm each session time and location before February 1st.
- Student musicians, rappers, and vocalists can also register to participate in the LIVE Jam Session at the Boom Room recording studio from 3:30pm – 5:30pm.
If you would like to be a sponsor, mentor, or volunteer CLICK HERE.
When & Where
Jr Music Executive
Jr. Music Executive is a nonprofit organization created to inspire high school and college students in urban environments to pursue higher education, set goals, and reach their full potential by exposing them to careers in the music business. We provide workshops, internships, scholarships, and networking events.