San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The Japanese imagination has led to many of the world’s most extraordinary toys. Japanese toys span an unparalleled gamut—from a centuries-long practice of traditional doll making to whimsical folk toys, such as ghostly mechanical kobe figures and papier-mâché guardian dogs. Japanese Toys! From Kokeshi to Kaiju provides a feast for the eyes and the imagination. This exhibition captures the remarkable evolution of Japanese toys.
We will hear from toy collector Mark Nagata and Bandai toy designer Tsuyoshi Nonaka on the history of Japanese toys and their influence in today's culture. If you're not flying out of SFO's United Terminal before the exhibit closes on April 30th then this will be your one chance to see it in person! Kokeshi dolls, menko playing cards, and battery-operated robots are among the quintessential toys on display. Vinyl kaiju figures, Ultraman novelties, and a dress made entirely from plush Hello Kitty dolls are some of the unexpected items on view.
SFO Museum curator Nicole Mullen will moderate.
- $10 for Japan Society Members & Students (Please show ID at time of check-in)
- $15 for Non-members
- At time of registration please be prepared to provide your passport or driver's license number for TSA purposes. Due to the location of the exhibit inside the United Terminal we must enter through airport security.
- For those registering children without a passport or ID card please call Briana Burrows at (415)986-4383 to register by phone.
- Online registration closes at 11:59 PM on Monday, April 14
- No refunds after Monday, April 14
- No walk-ins will be permitted due to security reasons
- Space is limited, first come first served.
- Currently we are unable to permit walk-ins due to airport security issues, however, please check back for updates. We strongly encourage registering early due to the limited capacity.
- 6:00 PM – 6:30 PM Registration/Reception
- 6:30 PM – 7:15 PM Panel Discussion
- 7:15 PM – 8:45 PM Q&A and Guided Tour
- Light appetizers and drinks provided.
International Terminal, San Francisco International Airport
At the entrance to Boarding Area A, just before the security check point, turn to the left and proceed a few steps to the aviation museum and library entrance.
Please use the International Garage and take your parking ticket with you to the event to have it validated for free parking. You must use the REGULAR LANE when entering the parking garage. Credit card and FasTrak lanes do not issue garage tickets.
Please contact Briana Burrows, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or (415)986-4383.