Idlewild’s language courses are fun and practical, and were recently included in the "Best of New York 2012" issue of New York Magazine.
The classes are taught in our beautiful store, not a stuffy classroom, by Stefano Di Cicco, a native of Rome with 15 years’ teaching experience and a dynamic and participatory method that will have you speaking from the very first class.
Is this class for you?
Our Italian for Beginners course is an introduction to the Italian language, intended for people who have never studied Italian or people who studied the language many years ago but are rusty. The course includes presentation and practice of the following situations and grammar topics:
- greetings and introductions
- talking about yourself (nationality, family, profession, likes and dislikes)
- ordering in a restaurant or a cafe
- months, seasons, dates and weather
- numbers and telling time
- talking on the phone, discussing plans
- traveling by plane and train
- reflexive and reciprocal verbs
- basic prepositions and definite articles
- talking about the weekend
- possessive and demonstrative adjectives and pronouns
- forming and using verbs in the present tense
Each of the ten lessons includes teacher presentation and student participation, including pair or group work.
About our classes
- This course is 10 weeks long and will meet once a week. The weeknight classes meet for 75 minutes per session; the Saturday class lasts one hour.
- Class size is limited to 14 people.
- The beginner, advanced beginner and intermediate courses follow a text (not included in the course price but available to students for the discounted price of around $18 including tax).
- There are no make-up classes. On the first day of class, each student will receive a syllabus that lists the weekly assignments so you can keep up with your studies if you have to miss a class.
If you wish to cancel your registration, you must contact Idlewild by telephone or email at least seven days before the start date of your class to receive a refund.
If you wish to postpone your registration to a later session, you must contact Idlewild by telephone or email at least three days before the start date of your class to receive a credit toward a future session (good for one year).
12 West 19th Street
(between 5th and 6th Avenues)
Idlewild is an international bookstore with locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Our language classes were named "Best of New York" by New York Magazine and are taken by more than 3000 New Yorkers every year.
10-week course starting April 2013