This is a FREE workshop, sponsored by the IRS. .
Sign-in will begin at 8:30 am, and the workshop will begin promptly at 9 am and end at noon.
- What you need to know about federal taxes when hiring employees/contractors
- Employee vs independent contractor
- Payer responsibilities
- Identify payer-related forms
- Verify employee information
- State New Hire Registry
- File Forms W-2 online
- FIRE system
- How to manage your payroll so you withhold the right amount from employees
- Wages subject to employment taxes
- Accountable vs. non-accountable plans
- What you need to know about Federal Unemployment Taxes (FUTA).
- Define FUTA wages
- Deposit rules
- Forms & filing
Resource materials will be provided for:
- South Carolina Department of Revenue
- Registering a business in South Carolina
- Reporting and collecting sales tax
- Withholding tax
- South Carolina Department of Employment & Workforce
- Unemployment Insurance Tax and Claims
- Tax Liability
- Legal entities
- Wage report
- Independent Contractor
This training will be held in Room 415 of the Thurmond Building (College of Business) on the Winthrop University Campus, corner of Park Avenue (off Cherry Road) and Memorial Circle. Room 415 is on the 4th floor, and is elevator accessible. Parking passes for the day will be emailed to registrants the day before the workshop.
When & Where
Winthrop Region SBDC
The Winthrop Region Small Business Development Center serves 15 South Carolina counties, assisting existing small businesses as well as aspiring entrepreneurs. We serve 1-person businesses as well as businesses with as many as 500 employees.
Services include assisting with business plan development, estimating start-up costs and income projections, private business consultations, low cost business workshops and seminars, marketing strategies, website development for local search, financing options, employee management, government contracting information, and more.
Call us, or your local SBDC office today to see what we can do for your small business!
LIKE our Facebook page to see helpful business tips, information and announcements that could be helpful as you start or grow your business.