Investment Banking Workshop (Los Angeles)
Saturday, October 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM - Sunday, October 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM (PDT)
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Investment Banking Workshop
Duration: 2 days
Cost: Free (RSVP cost is refunded upon attendance)
Location: Ackerman Grand Ballroom
Audience: this event is open to all undergraduate and graduate students from all universities, colleges, and high schools from Los Angeles and neighboring regions.
Details: this 2-day event is designed to help students break into the field of investment banking. The workshop will teach students how to build a resume for investment banking and will train them for the technical and behavioral portions of investment banking interviews. During the workshop we will continuously assess the participants and will invite a select few to the Leaders Candidate Program, allowing them to become a part of the global network of graduates from the Leaders initiative. The program helps candidates with mentoring, networking, and career opportunities. Therefore, it is recommended that students who are passionate about a career in finance participate in this event and try their best to involve themselves in class discussions. Please note, students who do not attend the complete 2-day workshop will not be considered for the Leaders Candidate Program.
Schedule: the timeline of the event along with the details of each workshop are as follows:
- Day 1.A: Oct 12 | 9:00 am - 10:00 am | Resume Workshop | Details: this workshop teaches the candidates how to create a resume that not only looks professional, but will help you in making the most of a single sheet of paper. We will teach the class the Leaders resume format and work through various content examples that can be included in the resume. The format taught here can be used for any profession or any other situation where a resume is required.
- Day 1.B: Oct 12 | 10:00 am - 12:00 pm | Behavioral Workshop | Details: this workshop teaches students how to properly answer questions such as why investment banking. The workshop covers important topics such as explaining your “story” and how to properly answer questions related to both educational and professional experience. Nine out of ten candidates in investment banking interviews fail the behavioral component and that is the difference between getting an offer and getting a rejection email.
- Day 1.C: Oct 12 | 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm | Networking Workshop | Details: this workshop teaches students how to form, develop, and build relationships within the investment banking industry. Included in this topic are strategies to build your contact list, reach out to alumni, and create new connections. From there, the workshop covers recruiting events, informational sessions, and seminars, examining techniques to use these opportunities to stand out from the rest of the student body. Remember, it's not what you know, but who you know.
- Day 2.A: Oct 13 | 9:00 am - 11:00 am | Technical Workshop - Accounting | Details: this workshop teaches students the basic and advanced concepts required for acing the technical portion of investment banking interviews. The accounting section of the technical workshop will cover financial statement analysis, changes and effects of major line items, and general questions that are asked in the majority of interviews. The mastery of this section is mandatory for passing first-round and final-round interviews.
- Day 2.B: Oct 13 | 11:00 am - 1:00 pm | Technical Workshop - Valuation | Details: this advanced workshop teaches students the various types of valuation techniques such as discounted cash flows, comparable companies analysis and precedent transaction analysis. This workshop covers the valuation topic in far greater detail and is an especially unique resource for candidates by conducting valuation examples that mimic real-world investment banking deals.
About Us: Leaders in Investment Banking (www.LeadersInIB.com) is a volunteer initiative that has been an invaluable support to generations of students breaking the investment banking career barrier and landing interviews and job offers at leading finance institutions such as Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Evercore, Qatalyst, Lazard, Houlihan Lokey, Moelis & Co., Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, UBS, Citigroup, HSBC, Macquarie, RBC, CIBC, BMO, TD Securities, and many more. Currently, the Leaders network spans globally and is present in cities all over the world including New York, London, San Francisco, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Singapore and Toronto. We believe in helping candidates unleash their potential and grow into leaders in this highly competitive industry.
Instructor: Leaders in Investment Banking workshops are taught by investment bankers who have worked at leading investment banks around the world. These instructors have had first-hand recruiting experience, both as interviewees and interviewers, within the investment banking industry and they truly understand what it takes to successfully break into the industry.
Disclaimer: please note the following disclaimers:
- Organization: Leaders in Investment Banking is a wholly independent organization and has no affiliation with Morgan Stanley or its groups, subsidiaries and divisions.
- Reimbursement Policy: ticket RSVP price and fees are reimbursed fully only if the students attend both days of the workshop and check-in with the instructor before the start of the workshop on each day. To receive your full payment back, arrive at the workshop between 8:30 am - 9:00 am on both days, present your event ticket, and sign-in with the instructor. Once the event is over, your order will be refunded within 1 week. Students who come late or miss the event will not be reimbursed. Also, students who cannot attend the event and need to cancel their RSVP must inform Leaders in Investment Banking no later than 7 business days before the event to receive the full refund.
- Cancellation Policy: in the event that the instructor cannot attend the workshop (flight delays, weather conditions, schedule changes, emergencies), you will be reimbursed fully, and the event will be rescheduled for a later date.
When & Where
Leaders was started in 2010 to help young professionals unleash their potential and increase their ability to succeed in the fields of Investment Banking, Consulting, Accounting and Entrepreneurship. We offer workshops at leading universities around the world that motivate individuals in achieving their career dreams of breaking into these highly competitive fields and also teach them how they can succeed throughout their careers.
The workshops teach students how to build the perfect resume and also train them for the technical and behavioral portions of interviews. They not only teach all the required material to ace interviews, but also train students in the art of communicating their answers confidently and with conviction. Other topics covered during the workshops include networking, cold calling and emailing, cover letters, personal marketing, info sessions, and many other general techniques to give candidates an edge during recruiting. Furthermore, we invite a select few students to join the Leaders Candidate program, allowing them to become a part of the global network of graduates from the Leaders initiative. The program helps candidates with mentoring, networking, and career opportunities.
The best part about Leaders is that all of our services are free-of-charge. We believe in creating a network of professionals who help each other throughout their careers and form life-long relationships. We are a global family of mentors with a single focus: building relationships and becoming successful together. The workshops are taught by mentors who have worked at leading institutions and have had first-hand recruiting experience, both as interviewees and interviewers, and truly understand what it takes to successfully break into competitive industries.